Automotive Communication Networks
Designing robust and reliable vehicular communications and networks improves safety, decreases fuel consumption, and increases the capacity of existing roadways, which is critical for the Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) industry.
This module aims to provide the fundamentals of architectures for vehicular communication systems (VCS) and develop students’ knowledge from existing wireless internet access using cellular networks to novel networking technologies. It covers protocols, algorithms, routing and information dissemination. Students will be equipped with the knowledge related to vehicle network security, privacy and safety-related topics. The module will familiarize students with diagnostics development process, which helps them in evaluating the requirements and critically analysing the suitability of new automotive diagnostics technologies.
Principal Learning Outcomes
By the end of the module the student should be able to:
• Demonstrate a comprehensive knowledge of inter-vehicle and intra-vehicle communications.
• Analyse and implement access technologies on vehicle communication systems
• Investigate general security concepts in order to enable security in vehicle networks.
• Investigate data dissemination in vehicular networks in order to achieve information exchange between any two vehicles, from one vehicle to all neighbouring ones and from one vehicle to infrastructure components.
• Evaluate the requirements and critically analyse the suitability of new automotive diagnostic technologies to support advanced safety-critical systems deployment.