- To present, in context, and provide skills in the application of fundamental Mathematics and systems modelling concepts that underpin all of Engineering.
- To encourage the development of problem solving and modelling skills as required in other Year 1 modules and in order that more advanced material can be tackled in modules taught in later years
By the end of the module the student should be able to:
- Recognise, apply and manipulate mathematical tools and techniques to solve engineering problems effectively.
- Make appropriate assumptions to simplify, and derive models of, engineering problems.
- Analyse engineering models quantitatively using appropriate statistical and numerical techniques via the physical laws that they obey.
- Present concise and mathematical solutions.
- Understand the meaning and implications of the mathematical solution for the original engineering problem.