- An introduction to design rules, and communications.
- Focusing on design drawing, dimensioning, and tolerancing standards, Datum systems, Geometrical Dimensioning and Tolerancing including: background, standards, feature control frames, geometric characteristics, symbols for boundaries and material conditions, GD&T concepts in details, review of GD&T on sample drawings, Measurement requirement understanding for parts with GD&T information, Tolerancing of flexible parts, Tolerance chain, Practical measurement of parts with GD&T information.
By engaging successfully with this module a student will:
- Understand relevant dimensioning and tolerancing standards with focus on ISO SPG standards.
- Understand the main and critical GD&T controls, rules, and modifying symbols.
- Understand datum reference frames.
- Be familiar with the impact of dimensional variation and tolerance stack-up.
- Interpret, and base engineering decisions on, part and assembly specifications.
- Conduct tolerance stack-up analysis on simple models.