- To present and provide skills in the application of more advanced mathematics and systems modelling concepts that underpin many areas of Engineering.
- To build on the fundamental material introduced in the year 1 Engineering Mathematics and Systems module and introduce more advanced topics related to the analysis of a wide variety of engineering systems.
- To develop skills in the use of MATLAB for modelling and analysis of engineering systems.
- To introduce computer programming concepts and develop programming skills within MATLAB.
- To consolidate the development of problem solving and modelling skills as required in other Year 2 modules and that students are equipped with the skills to tackle advanced material in modules taught in later years.
By the end of this module students should be able to:
- Recognise and apply advanced mathematical tools and techniques to solve engineering problems.
- Develop complex mathematical models of engineering systems.
- Solve complex engineering problems using MATLAB. Understand and apply programming concepts and methods.
- Model engineering problems involving dynamic simulation techniques making appropriate simplifying assumptions.
- Analyse models mathematically using appropriate statistical techniques and evaluate limitations of measurement on data used.