- Advanced Structural Analysis is an essential solution in many engineering problems where product development and optimisation is the purpose. Using Computer-Aided Engineering solutions reduces the cost of design and product development or optimisation of the current engineering systems.
- This module introduces the mathematical and numerical methods to simulate the engineering problems by utilising state of the art engineering tools and packages.
- This module aims to further enhance both the theoretical and practical appreciation of CAD and Stress Analysis, whilst introducing the supporting role of Finite Element Analysis (FEA) to achieve the engineering of a product or a system.
- The participants will appreciate how mathematics, numerical analysis and computed technology are combined to model and simulate the behaviour of physical systems.
- The participants also develop their understanding of the importance and relevance of modelling engineering systems before embarking on detailed designs and modelling processes developed with software packages.
By the end of this module students will be able to:
- Gain an understanding of numerical methods for Engineering and Technology.
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of numerical methods in engineering solution methodology and an understanding of how modern CAE Analysis tools are used.
- Engineering problem solving using finite element analysis applied to a range of practical and industrially relevant stress analysis.
- Simulation-based solution for a range of applied solid mechanics problems, selection of boundary conditions, practical modelling, verification of models and analysis, post-processing and checking of results.
- Simplifications, assumptions and idealisations during simulation for stress analysis using Finite Element Method.