- This module aims to cover the fundamental knowledge related to simple communication system that includes modulation, source coding, channel coding, filtering, error correction, amplification and transmission channel characteristics.
- A comparison of satellite, optical, mobile and fixed communications systems will be presented.
- The theoretical knowledge will equip students to evaluate and optimise the performance of communication systems using techniques such as link budget analysis.
- A brief overview about communication network architectures and protocols will be covered.
At the end of the module students will be able to:
- Understand the main elements of a simple communication system.
- Explain the several multiplexing techniques utilized in communication systems.
- Understand and analyse the satellite, optical, mobile and fixed communications systems.
- Appreciate the effects of noise on communication systems.
- Identify the need for modulation, source coding and error coding.
- Understand different kinds of communication topologies and protocols.
- Apply the theoretical knowledge in order to evaluate the performance of communication systems.