- Metrology is the science of measurement. Measurement is an integral part of manufacturing, and it is directly related to quality and conformity of the final product. With modern design tools and techniques it is possible to define products and develop their virtual model, and fully validate by simulation methods.
- The journey from virtual design to real word cannot be fulfilled without a good understanding of the design feasibility in terms of dimensioning and tolerance definition linked with available manufacturing capabilities. T
- his module reviews the context of metrology and manufacturing methods and their limitations for designers. It explains the concept of uncertainty in design and product maturation. Measurement technologies, their applications, related standards, and best practices are explained.
By engaging successfully with this module a student will:
- Understand the impact of dimensional variation in the electromechanical products.
- Understand the role of dimensional measurement and management in the successful introduction.
- Understand the uncertainty inherent in measurement, and how this relates to overall process variation in a complex manufacturing environment.
- Define, interpret, and base engineering decisions on part and assembly specifications.
- Critically assess measurement strategies for suitability in a complex manufacturing environment.
- Determine different stakeholder requirements and end user needs, and integrate them in the dimensional management process.
- Autonomously analyse, isolate, and correct problems associated with product dimensional integrity.