- Practically all electronic equipment, whether domestic or industrial, requires power conditioning to deliver the energy for it to operate correctly.
- This is using electronics for power processing, not information processing. Hence the module aims to introduce the concept of power electronic devices and their usage for power processing and control purposes.
- It will present the range of applications of power electronics, from power supplies for laptops to motor drives in appliances, robotics and electric vehicles.
By the end of this module students will be able to:
- Describe the operation of power semiconductor devices and converters.
- Design a simple power converter, including a AC-DC converter, DC-DC converter and 3-phase inverter.
- Analyse the power quality and harmonics, design the basic filters to smooth the converter output and to improve the power quality.
- Appreciate the applications of power electronics and the development of new devices.