The module aims to examine best practice in Collaborative Working in a complex business environment. The impact of effective Leadership, Team working, Communication and Stakeholder Engagement will all be explored. Participants will be encouraged to reflect on their own style of leadership and their effectiveness in facilitating collaboration in order to facilitate their personal and professional development.
The emphasis on learning is focused on leading teams and engaging stakeholders in a context of technical and organisational complexity. On completion of the module, participants should be able to:
- Describe some of the key contemporary theories of leadership and management, and explain their relevance and application to the Systems Engineering context.
- Apply appropriate techniques to the management of subordinates and other stakeholders, based on individual characteristics of personality and motivation.
- Deploy appropriate techniques for negotiating effectively with project stakeholders and for resolving organisational and interpersonal conflicts.
- Describe and analyse the impact of organisational structure, culture and politics on the collaborative working environment.
- Develop communication plans for projects, programs and portfolios to win the support of stakeholders, and explain the role of emotional intelligence in achieving this.
- Articulate the requirements for effective leadership within their company – now and in the future – in order to achieve successful collaboration.
- Understand the challenges of leading and managing teams (including virtual teams) and be familiar with some of the tools and techniques which can be used to support team working.
- Module Introduction and Objectives
- Creating a Collaborative Environment
- Understanding & Managing Individual Differences: Personality, Motivation & Emotional Intelligence
- Context: Organisational Structure & Culture
- Context: National Cultures and Global Collaboration
- Teambuilding & Teamworking: Understanding Group Processes; Team Lifecycle; Team Roles
- Inter-Organisational Collaboration: Partnerships and Joint Ventures
- Perspectives on Leadership
- Personal Leadership Style
- Situational Leadership
- Stakeholder Engagement Strategies & Tools
- Conflict Management & Negotiation Skills
- Communication for Collaboration
- Collaborative Innovation
- Module Applications (Personal Reflection & Action Plans)
- Module Summary, Next Steps (inc PMA) & Review
- Keynote Speakers
Post Module Assignment and in-module exercise.