The aim of this module is to equip participants with the knowledge and confidence to make effective leadership interventions and to be aware of the impact of these interventions in wider organisational settings. Successful interventions will enable them to further build confidence to appropriately and powerfully apply their knowledge and skill to detail as well as wider organisational environments. A core part of the learning is in modelling and practicing appropriate leadership behaviours.
The module is highly participative and will deal with theory, process and practice of leadership. Participants will be involved in a structured process of examining their leadership style and effectiveness and putting into action their plans for improvement.
The theory and process of leadership will be dealt with in as experiential a way as possible. Opportunities for the participants to explore their skills of leadership will be taken wherever possible including the direction and leadership of the module within given parameters.
On completion, the participant will be able to:
- Identify the requirements for effective leadership
- Interpret a range of perspectives and theories on leadership
- Evaluate the role, responsibilities and styles of leaders
- Make leadership interventions to improve personal and organisational effectiveness
- Relate theory to patterns of leadership observed in their organisation
- Describe complexities of leadership deriving from differences in cultural values (personal & organisational)
- Evaluate the impact of situational differences on behaviour
- Critique their own leadership style
- Strengthen their leadership performance in the context of their organisation(s)
- Apply and continue to develop their own leadership capacities
- Identifying, comparing and contrasting a range of theories and philosophies on leadership
- Analysing the principle and perspectives from which these theories and philosophies derive
- Appreciating examples of leadership in a variety of settings and scenarios
- Examining leadership theories and practices in context
- Understanding cultural diversity and its implications
- Applying and reviewing personal leadership learning during, and planning for after, the module
- Identifying and exploring personal opportunities for leadership in the module and afterwards
It is highly recommended that participants have attended Improving Personal Performance and be in a leadership position. This is particularly important for the completion of the modular assignment.