- This unit incorporates two management themes: ‘management theory’ and ‘business concepts.
- The management theory theme addresses contemporary management concepts stemming from changing organisational structures, complex environmental conditions, new technological developments and increasingly diverse workforces.
- It highlights critical management issues involved in both managing and being managed including: components of organisations, environment, strategy, structure, culture, tasks, people and outputs and managerial decisions.
- The business concepts theme focuses on providing a context for the management issues in the engineering/industrial sector by examining the sizes and structure of different industries, the types of organisations as well as global trade and commercial issues.
By the end of the module the student should be able to:
- Discuss the theories of management with particular emphasis on an introduction to contemporary management concepts and practices.
- Develop an appreciation of management competencies and ethics.
- Apply the key functions of management, i.e. planning, organising, leading and controlling in an industrial context.