- This module will continue to further develop a student’s understanding and application of Systems Engineering from the basic introduction provided in the second-year module Engineering Systems.
- This will extend the coverage of Systems Engineering to include the whole system life-cycle and seek to develop the student’s ability to apply the techniques of Systems Engineering to real-life problems.
- The module will further develop Concept Development by describing the early stages of the system life cycle in which a need for a new system is demonstrated, its requirements identified, alternative implementations developed, and key program and technical decisions made.
Engineering Development will then be covered and will describe the later stages of the system life cycle, in which the system building blocks are engineered (to include both software and hardware subsystems) and the total system is integrated and evaluated in an operational environment.
- The role of Systems Engineering in Post-development (describing the roles of Systems Engineering in production, operation and support phases of the system life cycle) and what domain knowledge of these phases a systems engineer should acquire, will be identified and developed through the use of examples.
By the end of the module students should be able to:
- Apply Systems Engineering models and techniques to complex problem situations in order to clearly articulate and respond to a customer’s need.
Model a solution that meets the customer’s need using methods that do not restrict that solution to a particular discipline or technology.
- Select a solution that meets the customer’s need from a number of potential alternatives, giving due consideration to relevant physical, environmental and resource constraints.
- Assess the impact of trade-off decisions with respect to the viability of the proposed solutions.
- Explain how lifecycle models can be used to plan the design, development and support of a complex system throughout its life.
- Describe the role of Systems Engineering in production, operation and support phases of the system life cycle.
- Outline the domain knowledge required to guide each stage of the lifecycle of a system.