Key aspects of modern business include the concept of ‘quality’ and its management. Quality and Quality Management have a large impact on industrial (as well as service sector) enterprises where they are used to establish standards, provide a holistic framework to produce products and services with minimal variation, as well as conformance to established standards.
- This unit aims to develop an understanding of the issues involved and the approaches employed in quality management. The unit will also explore techniques of quality improvement which have an impact on both industrial and service sector enterprises.
- Participants will also develop an understanding of the issues involved and the approaches employed in quality management, as well as an appreciation of the techniques of quality improvement.
- Specific topics will include Lean Enterprise, Evolution of Total Quality Management, Six Sigma, Introductory Statistical Process Control, Control Charts for Variables and Policy Deployment.
By the end of the module students will be able to:
- Discuss the theories of quality management with particular emphasis on an introduction to contemporary quality management techniques.
- Develop an appreciation of quality perspectives and their uses in industry.
- Apply the key functions of quality improvement in an industrial context.
- Evaluate and compare quality management techniques in a discursive format.