The MSc Manufacturing Process Technology module has been developed to meet the demands of industry, and will provide a comprehensive overview of the important manufacturing technologies.
During the course, various modern manufacturing technologies will be introduced and discussed, including their operating principles, typical materials used, process economics and applications.
The course will aim to provide learners with an appreciation of the methods that can be used to select manufacturing technologies appropriate to the design requirements. It will also provide them an understanding of what tools and techniques are available to them to assess how the key stages of a product lifecycle affect the product’s ecological footprint, and the impact of that on the selection of manufacturing process.
The course will also introduce methodologies to assess how the product design affects manufacturing cost and how that can impose constraints on the manufacturing process selection.
Upon successful completion participants will be able to:
- Interpret a product specification and systematically apply comprehensive knowledge of current advanced manufacturing process technologies that are used at the forefront of today’s manufacturing, their operating principles, typical materials used, process economics and applications for the manufacture of the product.
- Critically evaluate a product and systematically apply current tools to make an informed and sound selection of manufacturing process technologies for a product.
- Interpret the design efficiency of a product through a sound knowledge of DfMA techniques and their application to a complex product and how the design can influence the choice of manufacturing process.
- Critically evaluate the key through-life environmental impacts of a product, and apply advanced knowledge of the tools and techniques available to critically evaluate the impact of the choice of manufacturing process and material choices on the ecological footprint of a product.
- DFMA tools and exercise.
- Laser manufacturing processes.
- 3D Printing.
- Casting technologies.
- Joining technologies.
- Sheet metal forming.
- Hands on introduction to CES process selection software.
- Polymer materials and processing.
- Process selection through cost analysis using CES.
- Non-traditional manufacturing processes.
- Metrology for manufacturing.
- Composite manufacturing.
- Manufacturing process selection using Eco Analysis.
- Non Destructive Testing and evaluation.
Assessment is by 3,000 words post-module assessment (100% weighting)
This is a course module on MSc Manufacturing Systems Engineering and Management and an elective module on MSc International Technology Management.
Please note: the details of this module are correct for the current year of study and may be subject to change for future years.