This section of your dissertation (which could be part of your INTRODUCTION chapter or possibly a separate chapter based in the review of literature section) seeks to explain to the reader the rational for the way in which the research was conducted. In particular, to provide the answers to the following questions:
- What was the underlying research paradigm or philosophy?
- What research methods were used?
- How was the data gathered?
- How was the data analysed?
The method chosen should be stated in your dissertation and the reasons for your choices justified.
For a questionnaires and interviews;
- show the justification for individual questions - why do you need the data and how will it be used (analysed)?
- show the justification for choosing the respondents - how will they provide reliable, repeatable data?