Artificial Intelligence has been discontinued. This module is not currently being run on any WMG programme.
Artificial Intelligence (AI) is a field of research that attempts to simulate the human reasoning process in computer systems. Often, because of 'combinatorial explosion' it is not possible to solve many real life problems using conventional computing techniques. Examining and emulating how humans tackle such problems may find effective solutions. Areas such as speech recognition, diagnostics, scheduling and planning have benefited from this approach.
This module seeks to introduce the AI techniques that are most relevant to industry with special consideration given to Expert (Knowledge-based) Systems. It provides a broad overview of the main subjects.
On completion, participants will be capable of:
- Comprehending the base AI subjects and techniques
- Differentiating between techniques and understanding how to choose which is the most appropriate for particular applications.
- Understanding the structure of and development process for knowledge-based systems
- Demonstrating the application of Knowledge Based Systems.
- Search techniques and methods
- Fuzzy Logic
- Artificial Neural Nets
- Genetic algorithms, Intelligent Agents etc.
- Knowledge Based Engineering
- Uncertainty handling techniques
- Machine learning
- Knowledge elicitation techniques
- Knowledge Based Systems