The module aims to examine best practice in Collaborative Working in a business context. The impact of effective Leadership, Teamworking, Communication and Stakeholder Engagement will all be explored. Participants will be encouraged to reflect on their own style of leadership and interaction in order to facilitate their personal and professional development.
The emphasis on learning is focused on leadership and leading teams through technical and / or organisational complexity. On completion of the module, participants should be able to:
- Describe some of the key contemporary theories of leadership and management, and explain their relevance and application to the business context.
- Apply appropriate techniques to the management of subordinates and other stakeholders, based on individual characteristics of personality and motivation.
- Deploy appropriate techniques for negotiating effectively with project stakeholders and for resolving organisational and interpersonal conflicts.
- Describe and analyse the impact of organisational structure, culture and politics on the collaborative working environment.
- Develop communication plans for projects, programs and portfolios to win the support of stakeholders, and explain the role of emotional intelligence in achieving this.
- Articulate the requirements for effective leadership within their company – now and in the future – in order to achieve successful collaboration.
- Understand the challenges of leading and managing a virtual team and be familiar with some of the tools and techniques which can be used to support virtual team working.
- Programme Introduction;
- Module Introduction and Objectives (and Personal Leadership SWOT)
- Personal Reflection (psychometric)
- Creating a Collaborative Environment
- Managing Individual Differences
- Context: Organisational Structure & Culture
- Context: International Culture and Global Collaboration
- Teambuilding & Teamworking: Understanding Group Processes
- Team Lifecycle; Team Roles (Belbin)
- Perspectives on Leadership
- Personal Leadership Style
- Situational Leadership and SE Leadership Styles
- Project Oriented Leadership
- Leading Virtual Teams
- Ethics & Governance
- Stakeholder Engagement Strategies & Tools
- Conflict Management & Negotiation Skills
- Communication for Collaboration
- Stakeholders, Competences
- Current & Future Leadership
- Module Applications (Personal Reflection & Action Plans)
- Module Summary, Next Steps (inc PMA) & Review
- Keynote Speakers
5 days (29 hours of lectures & 8 hours of practical class/workshops)
6,000 word post-module assignment (90%) and 8 hour in-class exercise (10%)