The world is becoming much more interrelated and interdependent in a business context everyday. One of the key drivers, in today’s globalized world, and the latest business innovation is Outsourcing and Offshoring. Almost all companies employ these initiatives today. Students entering industry and business today will invariably face Outsourcing and Offshoring situations, that go beyond company and national boundaries. This module is intended to equip students on what is involved in handling such situations.
The module will contribute directly to the overall aim for all stated M.Sc. programmes of equipping the participants with the skills and knowledge necessary to lead within a technology based company, by equipping them with an in-depth knowledge of these latest management options, tools and techniques
On completion of this module, successful participants will be able to:
- Operate in situations where the Outsourcing and Offshoring management techniques are being used
- Determine where these tools are the best solutions to apply, where they should be a part of the sourcing strategy, justify their use and critically review the benefits accruing
- Contribute to the successful utilisation and implementation of these techniques.
- Understand the challenges of dealing globally, and the risks associated with the use of these innovations.
- Appreciate the factors which make the UK a good sourcing destination for businesses around the world.
- Description of Globalisation and Outsourcing including: What is Globalisation in the Supply Chain context , What is Process Outsourcing, Outsourcing, Offshoring and Globalisation relationship, Drivers and enablers of Globalisation and Outsourcing
- Value proposition of Outsourcing, including Executive level benefits, Changing business environment
- Outsourcing life-cycle, including Client and Service Provider definitions, Bid, response, negotiation and delivery phases
- Client side considerations, including Sourcing strategy, Business case, Vendor selection
- Service Provider response, in cluding Technical solution, Baselining, Costing and pricing, Terms and Conditions
- Other Life-cycle topics, including Contract negotiation, Implementation plan
- Inhibitors and Risks in Globalisation and Outsourcing