This module is designed for students without previous IT experience or studies.
The application of Information and Communication Technologies has become so widespread that all business managers must be aware of these technologies' current and future potential if they are to succeed. In order to apply the technologies intelligently it is crucial to have some technical understanding of what technologies and tools are available, and what facilities they offer. Students will be able to explore the architectures, application integration technologies and gain an appreciation of the security issues.
This module is aimed at students without any IT background and is intended as an introduction to the technologies available. The module will enable participants to converse with IT professionals in order to make informed decisions about the role of IT in their business.
On completion, participants will be able to:
- Appreciate the basics of IT systems, i.e. computer fundamentals, architecture basics (Enterprise, Information, Data & System), networking protocols (OSI) and IT system models.
- Appreciate the evolution and outline of IT systems from mainframe, client server to highly integrated systems and collaborative tools (Intranets, Groove, etc) that integrate business systems from multiple organisations.
- Understand how database technology can be used to store business data and to manage its availability to appropriate users.
- Understand the technology options (including EAI and Web Services) and implementation issues for application integration across the extended enterprise.
- Understand the principles of telecommunications technology, the options available in establishing corporate and global data communication networks.
- Appreciate the technical vulnerabilities (e.g. in OS, applications and networks), their exploitation (viruses, worms, etc) and security technologies such as Firewalls, IDS, Virus detection, encryption, digital certificates and signatures.
- Understand the basics of website design and the tools available to facilitate creation of websites.
- Enterprise Application Integration and Web Services
- Security vulnerabilities and technology
- Data Communication and Network Technologies
- Enterprise, Information, Data and System Architectures
- System Development Tools and Programming
- Website design and creation