This module looks at the role of Business Strategy in organisations. It addresses the importance of strategy to the organisation and examines the process for developing and implementing an effective strategy.
It will explain how to develop and implement a strategy in a business. It will also consider how to select and apply various tools and techniques at each stage of the strategy’s development and deployment.
In addition, it will highlight real, practical considerations to enable successful, sustainable strategy implementation.
Upon successful completion participants will be able to:
- Critically analyse the role of, and the process for, the development of business strategy, and its relationship with organisational vision, mission, values and culture.
- Identify and critically assess the external and internal factors that affect a business and their business in particular.
- Recognise the interface between different parts of an organisation, appreciate the expectations of stake-holders both inside and outside of the organisation, and consider how to manage them.
- Review and/or develop sources of competitive advantage and debate the practicalities of enabling business benefit from them.
- Create a business strategy and implementation plan for a part of the organisation in which the learner works.
Interpret, critically evaluate and apply appropriate theories, tools and techniques to issues in the learner's workplace (and demonstrate these against a Degree Apprenticeship standard where appropriate).
- The theory of strategy development – including vision and mission statements
- The process of strategy development – including tools and techniques
- Analysis of internal and external environment, strategic position and strategic options
- Accounts from practitioners on aspects of strategy
- Strategic alternatives
- Practical implementation considerations
- Influencing – tools, techniques and practice
- Application of learning to specific business situation
- Review and improvement of strategic business opportunity
- 3,000 words PMA written component on strategy, from a choice of two questions (50% weighting)
- 10 minute video log reflecting on how the learning from the module can be applied in the learner's workplace (30% weighting)
- 1.5 hour presentation critiquing the learner's workplace strategy and making recommendations for improvement. Presenting the findings to senior management representatives from the learner's organisation (20% weighting)
10 hours of lectures, 15 hours of seminars and 30 hours of work-based learning.