This module is designed as a blended learning experience using a combination of taught sessions, both academic and industry-based, and will involve exercise, case-studies, and multi-media presentations, including film-clips. Tutors will be both academics and industry subject matter experts
Upon successful completion participants will be able to:
- Lead complex systems engineering teams in the application of key principles and approaches for systems thinking in conjunction with systems engineering management processes.
- Critically discuss the linkage of Systems Engineering Management, Programme, Project and Technical Management processes and their application in system development lifecycles
- Apply risk management techniques and systems engineering management planning approaches to improve technical and fiscal outcomes
- Implement the processes supporting development of the Systems Engineering Management Plan, to support achievement of business and programme goals and outcomes for the organisation and its customers.
- Evaluate system engineering competencies and soft skills necessary for successful systems-teams
- Organisation context for systems engineering
- Overview of systems engineering as a process:
Supplier/Sub system management
Systems development lifecycle models e.g. the V model, and differences from project lifecycles
Introduction to programme and project management
Governance: business, legal, regulatory, technical, commercial, risk management
Introduction to measuring system team performance.
SE definition and role development
Tailoring to manage complex situations
Configuration and information management
Supply chain management
SE management planning, reporting, measurement and performance
- Risk Management – theory and practice
Post-module Assignment (80%) and In-module group assessment (20%(
total contact hours ~40.5 hours (33 hours of lectures, 7.5 hours of practical classess