A multicultural and multidisciplinary group of academics, engineers and researchers with a broad range of academic and industrial experience. Our research goal is to characterise and optimise processes, systems and devices through application of electrochemical techniques and materials knowledge.
We have two strong research themes and we are always happy to explore and collaborate in new research areas with a basis in electrochemical engineering.
ELEVATE (2015 – 2019)
This project will deliver a technology innovation chain that adopts a material-to-system approach. The consortium will identify, optimise and scale-up new materials into devices, develop novel diagnostic techniques in the lab and for on-board monitoring and control, and validate the technologies in a hybrid vehicle. The project partnership consists of five universities from across the UK and five industry partners.
- Lithium Ion Battery Manufacturing Pilot Line (£13 million - opened 2014) - Part of WMG's Energy Innovation Centre, the facility allows active battery materials to be mixed and formed into electrodes which are manufactured into A5 size 20Ah lithium ion pouch cells. The facility has industrial scale battery manufacturing technology which includes:
- Primix Mixers - State-of-the-art mixing capability allowing lithium battery active materials to be sphericalised and mixed to form slurries which can then be used in the reel to reel coater
- Reel to Reel Coater - The ability to take slurries of active materials and coat and sinter onto copper or aluminium current collector. The coater can be operated either in batch mode with comma bar (requiring only 100g of slurry) or in continuous mode (kgs of slurry).
- Calendering - This process allows the coated active materials to be compacted leading to improved energy densities
- Dry Room - Currently housing the capability to fill and seal lithium pouch cells with electrolyte before being formed. The room can achieve -40 dew point.
- Forming - 128 channels of 0-5A with explosion proof chambers allowing the cells to be charged safely for the first time.
- EE Battery Laboratory - A state-of-the-art lab space complete with walk in fume cupboards, glove boxes and characterisation tools (potentiostats, particle size and surface area analysis).
- Molten Salt Laboratory - Work space with equipment and furnaces dedicated to molten salt research activities.
WMG equipment and facilities: More information>>
Media and Press
See WMG in the Media for additional press coverage.