Breakthrough solutions in lithium-ion and beyond...
We deliver electrochemical energy storage materials for breakthrough solutions in lithium-ion batteries, as well as research into chemistries that move beyond lithium-ion technology. We focus on materials synthesis, from raw materials to application and manufacture, electrode formulations and multi-scale cell fabrication and testing.
We also deliver the scaled-up production of electrochemical materials from bench-scale to industry-relevant quantities.
We are able to develop safe, scalable and commercially viable processes to produce kilogram quantities of electrochemical materials needed for industrial evaluation. Our R&D capabilities are wide-ranging and cover activities in active materials (anode; cathode) and inactive materials (binders, separators, additives and electrolytes).
Meeting automotive industry targets
We have expertise in the fundamental science of electrochemical materials, synthesis of materials and composite microstructures, understanding new or combined properties and scale-up processing. By doing so, we aim to deliver electrochemical materials that meet the targets set by the automotive industry, especially the following performance areas:
- Cost reduction – more than 50% reduction in cell and pack price
- Energy density – a doubling of energy density per cell
- Power density – a fourfold increase in power density of each power pack
- Safety – improvement in the thermal runaway at pack level to reduce pack complexity
- 1st life – a doubling in the lifetime of packs from 8 to 15 years
- Temperature – a widening of the temperature range over which cells can efficiently operate
- Predictability – an improvement in the predictability of performance of in situ and aging batteries
- Recyclability – an increase from the current 10-50% recyclability of battery materials to circa 95% levels