Our research is focused on the structure and functionalities of polymer-based nanocomposites, which cover chemistry synthesis of nanoparticles and morphology control, interface characterisation, and manufacturing of polymer-based nanocomposites at large scale.
The relationships of ‘microstructure-properties-processing’ of polymer-carbon nanocomposites are the main research interest. The multifunctional nanocomposites with high electrical conductivity, thermal conductivity and mechanical properties have found a range of applications in structural composites, energy storage systems and food packaging.
- Invited talk on 'Electromechanical properties of intrinsically tuned dielectric elastomers' at Silicone Elastomers and Thermoplastic Elastomers World Summits, Milan, Italy, from 27 – 28 November 2018.
- Chris Ellingford and Yutao Zhou presented Posters on Energy storage Materials at Jaguar Land Rover and WMG Catapult Energy Storage Technology Conference, September 20, 2018.
- Invitation Plenary Lecture, 'Long Life, High Sustainability through New (Nano) Materials'. SLIM 2015, Special Edition of the Shelf Life International Meeting, 21-23 October 2015, Vimercate (Milan), Italy. http://gsica.net/slim/meeting.php?ID=266#PRELIMINARY_PROGRAMME
- Best Poster Award at Major International Conference - Ilke Uysal Unalan a visiting PhD student, who spent the last year working on under the supervision of Dr Chaoying Wan in the International Institute for Nanocomposites Manufacturing (IINM) in WMG has won the Best Poster Award at the 8th ECNP International Conference on Nanostructured Polymers and Nanocomposites held in Dresden, Germany recently. The work, a collaboration with Dr Stefano Farris of the University of Milan, Italy describes the research ongoing in to the use of graphene in biopolymer nanocomposites for packaging and coating applications.
- Co-chaired 1st UK-China Symposium on Polymer Nanocomposites,
1-3 December, 2014, IINM, WMG, University of Warwick
- Co-chaired 2nd China-UK Symposium on Polymer Nanocomposites, 27-30 Oct, 2015, Shanghai, China
- Nanotechnology Seminar, 9-10 June 2015, WMG, University of Warwick, http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/wmg/research/sustainable_materials_and_manufacturing/seminars/programme
- A fully funded studentship is open to home/EU/International student now
- A*STAR-University of Warwick (AWP) EngD - A fully funded studentship for Singapore students
- WMG - http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/wmg/education/researchdegrees/phd/
- International Scholarships - http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/study/international/admissions/finance/scholarships/