Find up to date list in ResearchGate
Phd Graduates - University of Warwick
1. Nagesh Shukla, 2011 “Modeling and Analysis of Unwarranted Variation in Healthcare Service Delivery Processes.” Position: Associate Research Fellow, SMART Infrastructure, University of Wollongong, Sydney, Australia.
Nagesh Shukla received 3-year Dorothy Hodgkin Postgraduate Award scholarship from Research Council, UK.
2. PKS Prakash, 2012 “Self-Resilient Production Systems: Reducing No-Fault-Found Product Service Failure through Functional Process Adjustment.” Position: Research Scientist, Essex Lake Group, Gurgaon, India.
PKS Prakash defended his 2nd dissertation at the University of Warwick. His dissertation at Wisconsin involves research related to diagnostics of production system failures during manufacturing phase in product lifecycle. His dissertation at Warwick involves research related to root cause analysis of product No-Fault-Found failure during service phase in product lifecycle. Both dissertations provide fundamentals for diagnostics of quality failures in lifecycle and lead to development of concept pertaining to Self-resilient Production system.
Dr. PKS Prakash participated in a 3-person team that was ranked Top-3 out of 1358 teams worldwide in the 2013 Heritage Health Prize sponsored by the Heritage Provider Network, one of the largest healthcare providers in New York, Arizona and California, for his algorithm to accurately identify patients who would experience unnecessary hospital admission within the next year. The competition ran for two years and offers a US $3 million Grand Prize.
3. Tirawat (Oak) Phoomboplab, 2012 “Self-Resilient Production Systems: Framework for Design Synthesis of Multi-Station Assembly Systems.” Position: Supply Chain Managment, Tesco, Thailand
Oak defended his 2nd dissertation at the University of Warwick. His dissertation at Wisconsin involves research related to development approaches for optimization of individual design tasks: (i) tolerance synthesis to optimize process capability; (ii) multi-station fixture optimization to optimiza production yield; (iii) part-to-part joint configuration layout optimization. His Dissertation at Warwick involves research related to synthesis of individual design tasks into a unified framework for (i) dimensional management, (ii) assessment of engineering changes; and (ii) assembly process redesign. Both dissertations provide fundamentals for design synthesis (optimization) in lifecycle and lead to development of design aspects of the Self-resilient Production system concept.
4. Avishek Pal, 2015 ''Quality in Closed-loop Lifecycle Management: Data-Driven Early Warning System and Root Cause Analysis.''
Warranty and No-Fault-Found failures act as major driver of cost savings and quality improvement in product lifecycle. Traditionally, warranty has been handled by reactive methods of product reliability improvement through warranty data analysis and field reliability estimations. This research focusses on developing a proactive data-driven approach of detecting warranty through early warning and develops robust methodology of attaining rapid root cause analysis of field failures. Position: Lead - Machine Learning at Fidelity Investments, Bangalore, India.
5. Abhishek Das, 2016 ''Modelling and Analysis of Compliant Parts for Multi-station Assembly Systems with Remote Laser Welding.'' Position: Research Assistant, WMG, University of Warwick.
Efficient modelling and analysis of geometric variation is crucial for quality control of deformable assemblies in automotive and aerospace industries, especially for emerging technologies such as remote laser welding. Geometric Modal Analysis (GMA) using 3D Discrete-Cosine-Transform (3D DCT) has been developed to characterise the form error of sheet metal parts by decomposing it into significant patterns/modes. The proposed approach will be extended for the development of Statistical Process Control with surface-based measurements.
6.Ken Asare, 2019 " An integrated product, process and resource modeling technique for cost estimation: a remote laser welding case "
Product-Process-Resource (PPR) Cost Estimation Framework integrating engineering and cost modelling technique during early design stages extending its capabilities to include new processes together with design and installation cost for new products that requires new processes.
PhD Graduates at the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor
5. Boon W. Shiu, 1997, “Modeling of an Automotive Body Assembly System for Dimensional Control”, co-chair with J. Shi. Position: Assistant Professor, Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Hong Kong Polytechnic University.
6. Ashraf M. Khan, 1998, "Optimal Sensor Location for Multi-Fixture Assembly System Fault Diagnosis: A Methodology". Position: Senior Engineer, Advanced Manufacturing Division of Daimler Chrysler Corp., USA.
Ashraf Khan, Ph.D. student (Univ of Michigan), received "Excellent in Research Award" from the S. M. Wu Foundation, July 1999.
7. John Rong, 1999, “Modeling and Diagnosis of Assembly Systems with Complaint Structures for Dimensional Control,” co-chair with J. Shi. Position: Senior Vice President, Global Alternative Business, Morningstar, Inc., Chicago, Ill, USA.
8. Helen Li, 2000, “Design and Optimization of Material Handling Systems,” co-chair with J. Shi. Position: Senior Engineer, R&D Center of General Motors Corp., Warren, MI, USA.
9. Yu Ding, 2001 “Dimensional Modeling and Control of Mechanical Assemblies using State Space Approach,” co-chair with J. Shi. Position: Associate Professor, Department of Industrial Engineering, Texas A&M University, College Station, TX, USA.
10. Sittiporn Pimsakul, 2002 “Evaluation of Reconfigurable Assembly Systems using Decision Support Systems,” co-chair with J. Shi. Position: Associate Professor, Department of Industrial Engineering, King Mongkut's Institute of Technology Lardkrabang (KMITL), Thailand.
11. Jaime Camelio, 2002 “Modeling and Diagnosis of Dimensional Variation for Assembly Systems with Compliant Parts,” co-chair with J. Hu. Position: Associate Professor, Virginia Technical University, Blacksburg, VA, USA.
PhD Graduates at the University of Wisconsin-Madison
12. Zhenyu Kong, 2004 “Methodology for Design & Analysis of Reconfigurable/Reusable Automotive Assembly System.” Position: Associate Professor, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, OK, USA.
Zhenyu (James) Kong was awarded a scholarship through the Richard S and Harriet K Fein Scholarship fund and the Department of Industrial Engineering. This award is based on his outstanding performance as a graduate student.
13. Wenzhen Huang, 2004 “Methodologies for Modeling and Analysis of Stream-of-Variation (SOVA) in Compliant & Rigid Assemblies” Position: Associate Professor; University of Massachusetts.
Wenzhen Huang received the 2002 Best Student Paper Award of the Quality, Statistics and Reliability Section of INFORMS for “Mode-based Decomposition of Part Form Error by Discrete-Cosine Transform with Implementation to Assembly System with Compliant Parts.” This award is given for outstanding research performed while one is enrolled as a graduate student.
13. Suzy Wang, 2006 “Dimensional Variation Modeling and Analysis for Multi-Station Compliant Assemblies at a Preliminary Design Stage” Position: Manager, Manufacturing R&D, Caterpillar Corp., Peoria, Illinois, USA.
14. Kamal Mannar, 2006 “Service Engineering: Remote Diagnostics and Prediction of Product Field Failures Based on event Logs and manufacturing Measurements.” Position: Management Scientist, Accenture Analytics, Singapore.
15. Tirawat (Oak) Phoomboplab, 2009 “Design-for-six-sigma Synthesis of Multi-stage Assembly Systems.” Position: Project Manager, Distribution Network Development, TESCO.
16. Crispian Sievenpiper 2009“Value-Based Development of Medical Scanner Fault Knowledge Compliant with Design Controls.” Position: Research Architect, Global Services Technology, GE Healthcare, USA.
17. Lucas Tsai, 2009, "Fault Localization Analysis in Multi-Station Assembly System." Position: Lead Engineer, Schlumberger, Kansas, USA.
18. Prakash, 2010 “Self-Resilient Production Systems: Six-Sigma Fault Diagnostics and Process Adjustment in Closed-loop Lifecycle.” Position: Research Scientist, Essex Lake Group, Gurgaon, India.
MSc Graduates - University of Warwick
1. Gabriele Gattere, “Development of an Optical Monitoring Device for Remote Laser Welding of Zinc Coated Steels “Master thesis research work conducted in the DLM lab at the University of Warwick and defended at the Politecnico di Milano, Italy (Co-chaired with Prof. Barbara Previtali, Dr. Daniele Colombo from Politecnico di Milano and Dr. Pasquale Franciosa, WMG)
2. Luca Ferrarini, 2013, "Characterization of the Laser Dimpling Process on Galvanized Steels for Automotive Applications". Master thesis research work conducted in the DLM lab at the University of Warwick and defended at the Politecnico di Milano, Italy (Co-chaired with Prof. Barbara Previtali, Dr. Daniele Colombo from Politecnico di Milano and Dr. Pasquale Franciosa, WMG)
3. Di Li,2013, “Examining Model Inputs to Discrete Event Simulation: a Comparison between Flowchart and Role Activity Diagram.” (Co-chaired with Dr. Sudi Lahiri and Avishek Pal)
Di Li, MSc student in E-Business Management, received the 2013 Department Prize on account of demonstrating excellent performance in coursework and her MSc thesis title. Overall 12 students received the 2012 Deparmente Prize out of a total of 700 students receiving MSc degree in 2013.
4. Diego Osorio Aguirre, 2013, “Remote Laser Welding Optimization using Orthogonal Projection of Process Parameters into Key Performance Indicators Space.” (co-chaired with Dr. Pasquale Franciosa)
5. Konstantinos (Kostas) Chatzivasileiou, 2013, “Improving Quality and Efficiency Along Patients Care Pathway: Opportunities for E-Business Management.” (co-chaired with Dr. Sudi Lahiri)
6. Mohammad Ansari, 2013, “Surface-based Quality Improvement: Effect of Environmental Noise on Stereovision Measurement for Remote Laser welding Application.” (co-chaired with Dr. Pasquale Franciosa)
7. Mustafa Emre Dogukaya, 2013, “Design and Deveolpment of Analytics for Pathway Variation Analysis: Implementation for Acute Stroke Patient Pathways” (co-chaired with Dr. Sudi Lahiri)
8. Chetan Shrouti, 2013, "Root Cause Analysis of Product Service Failure using Computer Experimentation Technique." (co-chaired with Dr. Pasquale Franciosa)
9. Lorenzo Maio, 2012, “Development and Validation of a Methodology for Clamp Layout Optimization of Non-ideal Compliant Sheet Metal Assembly in Remote Laser Welding Applications.” Master thesis research work conducted in the DLM lab at the University of Warwick and defended at the University of Naples, Italy. (Co-chaired with Prof. Salvatore Gerbino and Dr. Pasquale Franciosa, University of Molise/University of Naples, Italy).
10. Ya-Ting Hsu, 2012, "Analysis of Unplanned Re-Attendance and Short Stay Emergency Admissions in Accident and Emergency Department." September 2012. (co-chaired with Dr. Sudi Lahiri).
11. Selim Yilmazer, 2012, "Fixture Design Optimizationfor Sheet Metal Assembly Process withRemote Fiber Laser Welding Process." September 2012. (co-chaired with Dr. Pasquale Franciosa, University of Molise/University of Naples, Italy).
12. Muir (Umair) Abdul-Rauf Ortiz, 2012, "In-Process Quality Control for Remote Laser Welding Applications in Automotive Assembly." September 2012.
13. Andres Ortiz, 2012, "Optimization of Remote Laser Welding Process Parameters using Design-of-Experiments and Adaptive Sampling."
Andres Ortiz, MSc student in Manufacturing Systems Engineering, received the 2012 Deparment Prize on account of demostrating excellent performance in coursework an din his MSc thesis title. Overall 12 studendts received the 2012 Department Prize out of a total of 650 students receiving MSc degree in 2012.
14. Alexandros Bousdekis, 2012, "Traceability Analysis for Warranty Fault Localization using Bayesian Learning Networks."
15. Umut Kurttas, 2010 "Stroke Care Service Delivery Process Improvement"
16. Srimathi Rajasekar, 2009, "Dimensional and Geometrical Quality Assurance for Selective Laser Sintering" (Co-chaired with E. Izquierdo and G. Gibbons)
17. Anil George Thomas, 2008,
Duangthida Rotkanok, 2007, "Service Attributes Improvement by Mapping Customer Segmentation and Attribute Classification." (co-chaired with Prof. Eduardo Izquierdo).
University of Michigan-Ann Arbor
21. Cao Zhuo, 1995, “Quality-Based Comparative Studies of Door System Design” (Co-chair Jun Ni).
22. Carsten Paatsch, 1995, “Comparison Study of the Door Fit Quality in Various US Automobile Plants,” MSc thesis research work conducted in my lab and defended in Berlin University of Technology, Germany. (Co-chair G. Seliger).
23. Markus Himbert, 1996 “Managing Dimensional Variation in Automotive Body Assembly by Design Analysis,” Diploma thesis defended in Berlin University of Technology. MSc thesis research work conducted in my lab and defended in Berlin University of Technology, Germany. (Co-chair G. Seliger).
24. Marc Kolterman, 1998, “Production Rate Optimization for Integrated Press/Die/Material Handling Stamping System” MSc thesis research work conducted in my lab and defended in Berlin University of Technology, Germany. (Co-chair G. Seliger)
25. Christian Wagenknecht1, 1999, “Design Evaluation of Dimensional Variation in Sheet Metal Assembly Systems” MSc thesis research work conducted in my lab and defended in Berlin University of Technology, Germany. (Co-chair G. Seliger).
26. Khon Dung Ngo1, 2000, “Assembly System Partitioning Method for Assessing System Reconfigurability.” MSc thesis research work conducted in my lab and defended in Berlin University of Technology, Germany. December 2000. (Co-chair G. Seliger).
28. Jihong Ma, 2002 “Mode-based Decomposition of Part Form Error by Discrete Cosine Transform with Experimental Validation and Implementation to Stamping System,” Fall 2002.
29. Naveen Narma, 2003 “Continuous Fault Diagnostics of Manufacturing Processes using Rough Sets Methodology.” Fall 2003.
30. Michelle Rene Bezdecny, 2004 “Generalized Fixturing Model for Single Station Assembly with Rigid Parts: Methodology and Implementation.” Summer 2004.
31. David Hinderliter, 2004, “Minor Chemical Station Process Time Variation Reduction,” Fall 2004.
32. Ashutosh Katiyar, 2005 “Warranty Failure Monitoring and Control in Electronic Assembly System by Integrating Field Performance with Manufacturing and Design.” August, 2005.
33. Tirawat Oak Phoomboplab, 2006 “Yield-based Tolerance Synthesis for Multi-station Production Systems.” Spring 2006. (Co-chaired with Prof. W. Huang, University of Massachusetts).
34. Kamal Mannar, 2006 “Fault Region Localization (FRL): Product and Process Improvement Based on Field Performance and Distributed Manufacturing Measurements.” Spring 2006.
35. Alessandro Borraccia, 2006 “Beam-based Modeling and Analysis of Dimensional Variation in Multi-stage Assembly Systems with Compliant Components.” Spring 2006. MSc thesis research work conducted in my lab and defended in Politecnico di Milano, Italy. (Co-chaired with T. Tolio).
36. Adjhaporn Khunlertkit, 2007 “Auto-generator of 3-Dimensional Stream-of-Variation (SOVA) model for multi-station assembly process with rigid parts.” December 2007.
Visiting Professors and Postdoctorate Fellows
- Prof. Adam Rogowski, Lecturer at the Warsaw University of Technology , 1999-2000
- Prof. Wenzhen Huang, Assistant Professor at the University of Massachusetts, 2004-2005
- Prof. Jeongsam Yang, Associate Professor at the Ajou Univerity, South Korea, 2005-2006
- Prof. Zhihong Yang, Associate Professor at the Shandong University, China, 2006
- Prof. Manoj K. Tiwari, Professor at the Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur, India, 2006
- Dr. Eduardo Izquierdo, Lecturer at the Pontificia Universidiad Catolica de Chile and Research Engineer at SIRVE SA, Chile, 2008-2010
- Prof. Jan Shi, Professor at the Georgia Universoity of Technology, Atlanta, USA. 2009
- Prof. Duck-Young Kim, Assistant Professor at the Ulsan National Istitute of Science and Technolog, Ulsan, South Korea, 2009-2010
- Prof.Leyuan Shi, Professor at the Univeristy of Wisconsin, Madison, USA. 2010
- Prof.C.F. Jeff Wu, Professor at the Georgia Universoity of Technology, Atlanta, USA. 2011
- Dr.Pasquale Franciosa, Lecturer, Univerity of Naples / University of Molise, Italy. 2012-14
- Dr. Chen Luo, Lecturer, School of Mechanical Engineering, Southeast University, Nanjing, China, 2015
- Dr. Li Kun, Vice Chief Designer and Leading Expert, Xi'an Aerospace Precision Electromechanical Research Institute, Shaanxi, China, 2015 - 2016