The introduction of Advanced Driving Assistance Systems (ADASs) and Automated Driving (AD) systems in cars has many benefits, from increased safety, lower emissions toreduced traffic congestion and more useful time for the driver. These potential benefits of automated systems have led the push towards their commercialisation. But in order for them to be fully realised, we need to ensure that the ADAS and AD systems have a safe and a robust functionality. This has re-focused the automotive industry’s attention on verification and validation methods, and the development of test scenarios. The complex nature of Advanced Driver Assistance Systems (ADASs) and Automated Driving (AD) systems warrant the adoption of new and innovative means of evaluating and establishing the safety of such systems.
Our research capabilities include:
- Test scenario development
- Test scenario description language development
- Use of simulation for testing
- Sensor simulation and sensor emulation
- Functional safety
- International standards development
As Verification and Validation is a cross-cutting theme, we work in collaboration with other teams (e.g. Connectivity, Cooperative Autonomy and Human Factors) to deliver safe and robust systems which are desirable by the public.
Funder: Innovate UK
Partners: RDM Group, Milton Keynes Council
Alongside project delivery we strive to be at the forefront of our teaching activities, including the new MSc in Smart, Connected and Autonomous Vehicles (SCAV) and STEM Outreach activities.
- Khastgir, Siddartha, Birrell, Stewart A., Dhadyalla, Gunwant, Jennings, P. A. (Paul A.). 2018. The Science of Testing : An Automotive Perspective. SAE World Congress Experience, WCX 2018, Detroit, United States, 10-12 April 2018. SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1070. View
- Khastgir, Siddartha, Sivencrona, Håkan, Dhadyalla, Gunwant, Billing, Peter, Birrell, Stewart A., Jennings, P. A. (Paul A.). 2017. Introducing ASIL inspired dynamic tactical safety decision framework for automated vehicles. IEEE 20th International Conference on Intelligent Transportation Systems, Yokohama, Japan, 16-19 Oct 2017, Published in IEEE 20th International Conference on Intelligent Transportation Systems. View
- Khastgir, Siddartha, Birrell, Stewart A., Dhadyalla, Gunwant, Sivencrona, Håkan, Jennings, P. A. (Paul A.). 2017. Towards increased reliability by objectification of Hazard Analysis and Risk Assessment (HARA) of automated automotive systems. Safety Science. View
- Khastgir, Siddartha, Dhadyalla, Gunwant, Birrell, Stewart, Jennings, P. A. (Paul A.). 2017. Test Scenario Generation for Driving Simulators Using Constrained Randomization Technique. SAE World Congress 2018, Detroit, United States. SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-1672
- Dhadyalla, Gunwant, Marsic, V., Joshi, H., Khastgir, Siddartha, Birrell, Stewart A., Jennings, P. A. (Paul A.). 2016. Smart, connected and autonomous vehicles : a user-in-the-loop test methodology for the connected car. Driving Simulation Conference & Exhibition (DSC Europe), Paris, France, 7-9 Sep 2016. View
- Khastgir, Siddartha, Dhadyalla, Gunwant, Jennings, Paul. 2016. Incorporating ISO 26262 Concepts in an Automated Testing Toolchain Using Simulink Design Verifier™. SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars – Electron. Electr. Syst. 9(1):59-65, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-0032
- Khastgir, S., Birrell, Stewart A., Dhadyalla, Gunwant, Fulker, D., Jennings, P. A. (Paul A.). 2015. A drive-in, driver-in-loop simulator for testing autonomous vehicles. DSC 2015 Europe - Driving Simulator Conference and Exhibition, Tübingen, Germany, 16-18 Sep 2015. View
- Khastgir, S., Birrell, Stewart A., Dhadyalla, Gunwant, Jennings, P. A. (Paul A.). 2015. Identifying a gap in existing validation methodologies for intelligent automotive systems : introducing the 3xD simulator. IEEE Intelligent Vehicle Symposium, Seoul, Korea, 28 Jun - 1 Jul 2015. View
- Khastgir, Siddartha, Birrell, Stewart A., Dhadyalla, Gunwant, Jennings, P. A. (Paul A.). 2015. Development of a drive-in driver-in-loop fully immersive driving simulator for virtual validation of automotive systems. IEEE 81st Vehicular Technology Conference, Glasgow, Scotland, 11-14 May 2015. View
Recent news and upcoming talks
June 05, 2018 [Conference]: WMG Principal Engineer presenting at Autonomous Vehicle Test & Development Symposium 2018, Stuttgart, Germany
Oct 19, 2017 [Press Release]: Midlands roads to be UK autonomous vehicle testbed [link]