List of recent publications
Bowring, D. L., Totsika, V., Hastings, R. P., Toogood, S., & Griffith, G. M. (2016). Challenging behaviours in adults with an intellectual disability: A total population study and exploration of risk indices. British Journal of Clinical Psychology.
- Bowring, D. L., Totsika, V., Hastings, R. P., Toogood, S., & McMahon, M. (2017). Prevalence of psychotropic medication use and association with challenging behaviour in adults with an intellectual disability. A total population study. Journal of Intellectual Disability Research.
- Branch, A., Hastings, R. P., Beverley, M., & Hughes, J. C. (in press). Increasing support staff fluency with the content of Behaviour Support Plans: An application of Precision Teaching. Journal of Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities.
Bronwen Davies, John Griffiths, Hannah John-Evans, Kathy Lowe, Sarah Howey & Alexandra Artt (2016): Changes in staff confidence and attributions for challenging behaviour after training in positive behavioural support, within a forensic mental health setting: a replication study with follow-up, The Journal of Forensic Psychiatry & Psychology . To link to this article: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/14789949.2016.1222448
- Cianfaglione, R., Meek, A., Clarke, A., Kerr, M., Hastings, R. P., & Felce, D. (2016). Direct observation of the behaviour of females with Rett syndrome. Journal of Developmental and Physical Disabilities, 28, 425-441.
- Denne, L.D., Hastings, R. P., Hughes, J.C. (2017) Common approaches to intervention for the support and education of children with autism in the UK: An internet-based parent survey. International Journal of Developmental Disabilities doi/full/10.1080/20473869.2016.1275439
Denne, L.D., Hastings, R.P., Hughes, J.C. (2017) UK parents’ beliefs about Applied Behaviour Analysis as an approach to autism education. European Journal of Special Needs Education, DOI: 10.1080/08856257.2017.1297568
Mc Dowell, C, Barry, J. & Smyth, S. (2017). Reducing rumination of a child with Autism using post meal tooth brushing. Psychology and Psychological Research International, 2 (3).
McLennan, K., O’Regan, D., Coleman, S., Bretherton, S., Paul Cooper, P., Hove, M., McWade, P, and Toogood, S. (2017) Providing positive behavioural support services: Quality of life and challenging behaviour outcomes for a sixteen year old with intellectual disability. International Journal of Positive Behavioural Support, 7,2, 24–36 (C)
Priday, L., Byrne, C., & Totsika, V. (2017). Behavioural interventions for sleep problems in people with an intellectual disability: A systematic review and meta-analysis of single-case and group studies. Journal of Intellectual Disability Research, 61, 1-15. DOI: 10.1111/jir.12265
- Rhodes, J.A. and Toogood, S (2016) Can active support improve job satisfaction? Tizard Learning Disability Review, Vol. 21, 2, 54 - 60. http://dx.doi./10.1108/TLDR-07-2015-0028
- Roscoe, P., Petalas, M. A., Hastings, R., & Thomas, C. (2016). Dialectical Behaviour Therapy in an inpatient unit for women with a learning disability: Service users’ perspectives. Journal of Intellectual Disabilities, 20, 263-280.
- Saville, M., Cooper, P., Coleman, S., O’Regan, D., McWade, P. and Toogood, S. (2016) Providing positive behavioural support services: Quality of life and challenging behaviour outcomes for a nine-year-old child with autistic spectrum condition and severe intellectual disability. International Journal of Positive Behavioural Support, 6,2, 28–38
Smyth, S, Reading, B. & McDowell, C. (in press). The impact of staff training on special educational needs professionals’ attitudes towards and understanding of Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA). Journal of Intellectual Disabilities.
Storey, C., McDowell, C. & Leslie, J.C. (2017). Evaluating The Efficacy of Headsprout© Reading Program with Children Who Have Spent Time in Care. Behavioral Interventions, 32, pp.285-293.
- Tan, H.C., Hughes, M.R., and Toogood, S. (2016) Using task analysis to promote engagement in special educational settings. European Journal of Behavior Analysis, DOI: 10.1080/15021149.2016.1247575
Toogood, S (2017) Positive Behavioural Support and Borderline Personality Disorder. International Journal of Positive Behavioural Support. 7,1, 00-00
Toogood, S. (2016) Commentary on “Reflections on culture, structure and function of an intensive support service centred on positive behavioural support” Tizard Learning Disability Review, Vol. 2, 4, 212 – 219. http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/TLDR-06-2016-0018
- Toogood, S. and Leitch, S. (2017) Conference report: The eighth BILD PBS international research and practice conference: Working together to deliver positive behaviour support, Bristol, 3–5 May 2017. International Journal of Positive Behavioural Support, 7,2, 59–60 (D)
- Toogood. S., Totsika, V., Jones., E., and Lowe., K. (2016) Active Support. In N.N. Singh (Eds) Handbook of Evidence -Based Practices in Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities. Springer International Publishing, Switzerland.
- Totsika, V. & Jones, R.P. (in press). Changing students’ attitudes to people with intellectual disabilities: Findings from a natural experiment. The Bulletin of the Faculty of People with Intellectual Disabilities.
Totsika, V., Mandair, S., & Lindsay, G. (2017). Comparing the effectiveness of evidence-based parenting programs on families of children with and without special educational needs: short term and long term gains. Frontiers in
Education: Special Educational Needs. https://doi.org/10.3389/feduc.2017.00007