The MA Global and International Development is designed to provide professional and academic development to those who have an existing interest and ideally some professional experience in the fields of education and/or international development. The course is therefore intended to serve as a possible avenue for continuing professional development for individuals who:
- Work in the education sector and hope to increase the global reach of their work
- Have an international development background and want to specialise in education issues
- Aspire to critically engage with some of the most important questions of the current moment
- Would like to improve both their knowledge and practical skills in the area of Global Education and International Development
The course includes opportunities to develop specific and more wide-ranging subject knowledge, as well as components that are specifically targeted at enhancing professional skills. Students have the opportunity to take a professional placement module which also includes a series of practical sessions on understanding and producing policy.
Students on this MA also conduct a research study, which they write up into a dissertation. There is the option of students carrying out a research project related to their workplace, eg. evaluating an aspect of practice. The findings of this project could then be shared with the workplace.
Students enrolled on this MA will come into contact with a wide range of expertise and will have many opportunities to network with fellow students from a variety of backgrounds and country contexts, giving them the opportunity to develop their knowledge and contacts.
Part Time Study Options
If an employee cannot be released for a year to study full-time, two options are available:
- The student can be enrolled part-time, and thus have 2-3 years to complete the degree. Currently students would need to be released for day-time lectures.
- The student can initially enrol on the MA’s core module, ‘Understanding Global Education and International Development’ as a qualification in its own right, a Postgraduate Award.
If you have any further questions about the course, please get in touch with the course leader, Dr Judith Everington email@example.com