Skip to main content

7: Student Support

Departmental support

If you are unsure about something, it is always best to talk to someone about it. There are a host of different people available to have such a conversation with, depending on your situation and who you feel comfortable talking to in the first instance.

Personal Tutor system

For MRes students (during the taught component of the programme), the Director of MRes acts as Personal Tutor. Your Personal Tutor is somebody you can talk to about any matters, academic or personal, on which you need guidance or advice. There are designated weeks throughout the academic year when you are required to meet with your Personal Tutor (please see the section in this handbook on ‘Engagement and Assessment‘). However, if you have questions or concerns at other points throughout the year that you would like to see someone about, the Director of PhD/ Director of the MRes/ Teaching and Learning Manager (Research) are there to discuss them. Every member of staff has feedback hours, so in any week during term time you can use those hours to meet with the appropriate person. Please note that academic staff might not be available in person during vacation.

Once you progress to the PhD, pastoral arrangements will change. Generally, responsibility for pastoral care rests with the supervisors. However, pastoral care for PhD students with one supervisor will be provided by the Director of PhD. It is not intended that PhD students meet with their personal tutor at prescribed times throughout the year (as for UG and PGT). However, the personal tutor will be available as required. It is expected that this arrangement will be particularly useful for students working with one main supervisor, whereas students working with two or more supervisors will continue to seek/receive pastoral care from one or other supervisor. Where a student is working with one supervisor and that supervisor is the Director of PhD, additional arrangements for pastoral care of that student will be put in place, so that the student will always be able to seek the advice and support of a member of faculty, who is not their Supervisor.

Help is always available when things are not going as well as you would like. Your meetings with your personal tutor might cover issues such as:

  • How to prioritise your module work
  • Concerns about application forms for internships/jobs
  • Gaining feedback on your personal development, such as skills that you should develop
  • Changing modules
  • Your non-academic achievements to help your tutor write your reference
  • Advice on further study.

By discussing your personal and academic development, as well as your future career plans, your personal tutor will be in a much better position to write you a reference at a later date should that be required.

Postgraduate Senior Tutor

If you have a concern or problem that is perhaps more serious, it is a good idea to go straight to the PG Senior Tutor. You can, of course, discuss any problems with your Personal Tutor, but they may feel that because of the nature of your concern, the Senior Tutor is in a better position to offer advice. As such, your Personal Tutor may refer you to the Senior Tutor. He will be able to offer help and advice or point you in the direction of other people
and services within the University. Your Senior Tutor will respect any confidences (subject to University guidelines on confidentiality). If you wish evidence of mitigating circumstances to be lodged on your file then the Senior Tutor is the best person to speak to.

Things you may need to discuss with the Senior Tutor include:

  • Illness that is affecting or might affect your coursework, tests or exams
  • Family or personal circumstances that are affecting or might affect your coursework, tests or exams
  • Problems with managing your workload, which is starting to cause you anxiety.

Academic Lecturers

The lecturers that you see within your modules are there to provide you with guidance on their subject area. You may only see them for one to two hours per week within a large lecture. However, every member of academic staff has two feedback hours per week. You should make use of these, as a means of clarifying any areas of confusion within previous lectures or to discuss future topics. You can also use them to discuss areas that you both find interesting. You should always ensure you are prepared for your lecturer’s feedback hours. You shouldn’t be using them as a means of asking the lecturer to repeat the lecture, but should attend them with specific questions or areas of confusion that you would like clarification on.

Seminar Tutors

For core modules you will have small group classes with seminar tutors, who go over topics within your module in much more detail than in lectures. These are essentially a feedback session and should be used as such. You are in much smaller groups than in lectures, so this is a good opportunity to discuss questions and concepts and receive feedback on your approach to problems and understanding key concepts. These tutors also have feedback hours every week during term time. It is important that you take the opportunity now to clarify areas of confusion and develop your understanding of the topics by further reading and discussion with your peers and tutors.

Postgraduate Office

The MRes/PhD Office is a key resource within the Department and for MRes/PhD students is located in room S0.90 (Natalie Deven’s Office). If you have questions about your timetable, problems with clashes, or queries about Departmental procedures, you should go to the MRes/PhD Office in the first instance. If you have medical evidence that needs submitting, you should go there to do it; assignments that need submitting are also handed in there.

Director and Deputy Directors of MRes/PhD

You can see the Director of MRes/PhD, Dr Thijs van Rens, during his feedback hours if there is anything you need to discuss.

You can also contact the Director of MRes, Professor Sharun Mukand, and the Director of PhD, Professor Bhaskar Dutta, during their feedback hours.

Other on-campus support services

There is a comprehensive network of support and welfare services available to support you in times of difficulty. There is often more than one service which may be able to help and services work together to ensure that any problems are dealt with swiftly and effectively. Find out more about the Support Services available to help you.

Director of Student Support and University Senior Tutor

The Director of Student Support and Residential Life, the University Senior Tutor and colleagues in Student Support work closely together to help students in times of need. If you need help during your time at Warwick, it is likely that one of them will be able to help.

The University Senior Tutor is able to help with serious academic issues and the Director of Student Support and Residential Life can help with non-academic issues. The Senior Tutor is also responsible for developing the personal tutor system and for liaising with and coordinating student welfare functions. The Senior Tutor has no disciplinary functions. Find out more about Senior Tutor support.

The University Counselling Service

The University Counselling Service provides an opportunity for all students at any level and at any time of study at the University of Warwick to access professional therapeutic counselling so that they may better develop and fulfil their personal, academic and professional potential. There are a wide variety of services, including individual counselling, group sessions, workshops and email counselling.

t: +44 (0)24 7652 3761 or internal extension 23761

Disability Services

Disability Services work to help students with disabilities, such as hearing and visual impairments, dyslexia, dyspraxia, dyscalculia, AD(H)D, dysgraphia, mobility impairments, Autistic Spectrum Disorders, ‘unseen’ disabilities such as asthma, epilepsy and diabetes, and any other conditions to address barriers to study.

Disability Services can help make reasonable adjustments to facilitate study, provide advice and specialist services to students. If you experience any access issues in the department due to a disability, please contact the MRes/PhD Office (Room S0.91, Natalie Deven, in the first instance).

t: +44 (0)24 7615 0641 or internal extension 50641

The Residential Life Team

All students who have accommodation on campus are provided with a network of support staff called the Residential Life Team. The Residential Life Team work and live alongside students within the Halls of Residences and are a key part of the University’s welfare and support network. They also have responsibility for enforcing discipline on the rare occasions it is required.

t: +44 (0)24 7657 5570 or internal extension 75570

The Chaplaincy

The Chaplaincy provides pastoral and spiritual care to all members of the University community, of all faiths and none. They provide a space for worship and quiet reflection and the leadership of religious worship. The Chaplaincy is home to the Anglican, Roman Catholic, Free Church, Islamic and Jewish chaplains, who are always glad to meet students socially and pastorally. All faiths (and those with none) are welcome. The University also has a dedicated Islamic Prayer Hall immediately adjacent to the Chaplaincy building.

t: +44 (0)24 7652 3519 or internal extension 23519

The University Mental Health Coordinators

The Mental Health Coordinators are available to provide students with mental health difficulties with advice, information and support as needed to facilitate academic work and participation in University life. All communication is confidential and informal. Students are encouraged to disclose their mental health issues either at enrolment or at any time afterwards so that they can actively take part in how best to manage any difficulties that may arise.

t: +44 (0)24 7615 0226 or internal extension 50226

The Health Centre

Students resident on campus should register with the University Health Centre. The Health Centre provides primary health care GP services to registered patients, two medical practices with both male and female doctors, nurse practitioners and practice nurses, sexual health clinics, travel clinics and immunisation facilities.

t: +44 (0)24 7652 4888 or internal extension 24888

The Students’ Union Advice and Welfare Service

This service offers a range of independent advice and guidance, in particular, in housing law and finance/social security. It also offers advice in other areas, including academic problems.

t: +44 (0)24 7657 2824 or internal extension 72824

The Student Funding Team

The Student Funding Team offers advice and guidance on all aspects of financial support. The team administers the University Hardship Fund.

t: +44 (0)24 7615 0096 or internal extension 50096

Global Engagement (Immigration Team)

The International Office has a team of qualified advisers to assist students on all immigration and related matters (including student visas, travel overseas and post-study work), working closely with other University and Students’ Union services to offer induction and generalist support with welfare matters and crises. There are also regional specialists and a team who administer student exchange/study abroad programmes.


Centre for Applied Linguistics

International students following courses at the University may join extra English language classes organised by the Centre for Applied Linguistics (CAL).

For up-to-date information about in-sessional classes, and especially the locations of these classes (which can change at the last minute), please visit the following web site periodically:


The University Security Services

The Security Team exists to support the University’s overall aims by ensuring as far as possible, a safe, secure and friendly environment for students, staff and visitors, free from injury, personal threat, damage and theft.

Emergency: Internal system 22222
t: +44 (0)24 7652 2083 or internal extension 22083

Students’ Union

Sabbatical officers at the Students’ Union

Professional advisors who work at the Students’ Union

Student careers and skills

The Centre for Student Careers and Skills exists to enable you to devise and implement your lifelong career plans. The Centre is located on the ground floor of University House, next to the Learning Grid, and contains a wide range of resources including:

  • Extensive range of careers information, occupational files, books, videos and postgraduate modules
  • Comprehensive employer and organisations’ files
  • Regularly updated vacancy information
  • Easy access to Careers Advisers and Information Staff

t: +44 (0)24 7652 2083 Careers Enquiries
f: +44 (0)24 7652 4220

The Careers Consultant for Economics runs 30 minute careers guidance appointments within the Department throughout the term, and these can be booked via the ‘View Available Appointments’ section on myAdvantage.

Students from Warwick are highly sought after and the Centre runs a packed programme of employer-led skills workshops and presentations bookable via myAdvantage. They also host four careers fairs that are attended by a range of employers and institutions.

A Facebook page has been created and is maintained by representatives for all Economics students; Economics Careers at Warwick on Facebook.

The University Library

The main Library provides you with a wide range of resources to support you with your studies, including printed and electronic books, journals and subject databases. These will all help you find research in your area. The Library website is at

Here are a few quick tips to help you get started in the Library:

  • Use the Get Started online Library orientation programme to find out how to use the library effectively.
  • Use the Library Catalogue, Encore, to find details of the books and journals (print and electronic) held by the Library. There is a search box in the centre of the Library home page.
  • Most electronic resources are available from any PC with internet access, so you can use them from home. Usually, you’ll need your University username and password (the one you use to login to a PC on campus) to access these.
  • Use My Library Account to renew and reserve items via the internet.
  • The Library Economics webpages contain high-quality information relevant to your area of study. A good way to get started on a topic is to use Key Electronic Resources for Economics. The Library also provides a useful online tutorial for Economics students and a guide to databases.
  • DataStream is one of the main sources for finding macroeconomic time series or data on equity markets, bonds, futures, exchange rates and interest rates. DataStream is only available in the Library at a dedicated PC on Floor 1. At busy times, you may need to book to use the terminal. You will also find a very wide range of international macroeconomic time series, plus UK social survey data, on the UK Data Service (UKDS), available online through the Library list of databases.
  • If you are seeking a useful book or journal article which Warwick does not have, we can try and get it for you from another library. The Article Reach scheme allows you to obtain journal articles from some other libraries.
  • Document Supply is a more comprehensive scheme for borrowing books or obtaining articles from academic and national libraries in the UK. Collect a form from the Library or download it from the Document Supply section of the website, under ‘Using the Library’, and obtain your supervisor’s signature.
  • If you are having trouble finding what you need, there is an Economics Academic Support Librarian to help you. The contact details are below.
  • The Learning Grid, which is part of the Library, is located in University House and is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week. It offers a range of resources, including access to IT facilities and a collection of reference-only key textbooks. There are also Learning Grids in the Rootes Building, the Town Hall in Leamington Spa, and a postgraduate support facility called the Postgraduate Hub in Senate House.

Contacting the library

General Enquiries

In Person:
Help is generally available between 9.00am - 5.30pm Monday – Thursdays and 9.00am – 4.30pm on Fridays.

t: +44 (0)24 7652 2026

The Wolfson Research Exchange

The Wolfson Research Exchange is a community space that offers peer support and a forum for interdisciplinary collaboration to all Warwick research staff and students. The space hosts hundreds of research-led events each year, more than any other space at Warwick. Here you can find other researchers, get involved with the research community, attend events for researchers and plan your own research event.

Economics enquiries

Your Academic Support Librarian is happy to help you find the information you need for your research, show you how to use specific resources, or discuss any other issues you might have.

In Person:
General Library assistance is available between 8.30am – 9.30pm every day.

Helen Riley can be contacted email or telephone, 9.00 am – 5.30pm Monday to Thursday, and 9.00am – 4.30pm on Fridays.

t: +44 (0)24 7657 2712

The general Library email address may also be used and your enquiry will be dealt with by Academic Support colleagues, or passed on to the specialist.

The Postgraduate Hub

The Postgraduate Hub is situated at the heart of central campus in Senate House. The Hub provides a dedicated multipurpose area for all postgraduate students at Warwick, in a relaxed and friendly environment. The Hub provides a space for postgraduate taught and postgraduate research students to access support and resources dedicated to their needs. Postgraduate students can work and share experiences in the PG Hub in the broadest context of postgraduate life, not just study. Facilities include a number of collaborative working areas (all bookable), meeting and social spaces with networked PCs, as well as a computer suite with its own printing facility.

As part of the ‘every student is an international student’ concept, the PG Hub organises monthly cultural activities to give both international and home students an opportunity to explore different cultures. This is a great opportunity to get involved in your community, share information about your culture, learn more about other cultures and make the most of your time as a postgraduate student at the University of Warwick.

t: +44 (0)24 7615 1956 or internal extension 51956

Information Technology (IT) Services

Your email address

Once you have registered with IT Services and your account has been activated you will have an email address which is usually in the format: or

This address will be your ‘official’ University email address which the Department will use for all email communications. It will be the responsibility of students to ensure that they check this email account. You can access this account using the appropriate IT Services delivered applications or via webmail at

Help desk

IT Services provide a dedicated Help Desk which you can phone, email or visit for assistance with all aspects of student computing. Further information on how to contact IT Services can be found at

ATHENS authentication

When you register for an IT Services account at you can choose to request an ATHENS account.

Once you have your IT Services account, you can create your ATHENS account at any time by visiting the Library website.

Computer security

Any computer attached to a network is susceptible to attacks from viruses and spyware. IT Services provides free anti-virus and firewall software to help keep your computer safe.

Open access areas

There are many open access areas operated by IT Services. (You will need your University ID card to enter some of the open access areas.) The computers are all connected to the network and the internet and provide access to printers, the Library online catalogue and a wide range of software applications. All computers in open access areas run on the Windows 7 operating system (except room A0.01 - SUSE Linux). Further information can be found at

IT facilities in the department

In the Economics Department room S2.134 and S2.136 are specifically reserved for MRes students and are equipped with eight work stations and a printer along with other space to read and study. There is also a large computer lab (S2.82) which is available to you for part of the week. Should network problems occur, we will try to resolve such issues as soon as possible, but cannot guarantee that every computer in this room will have access to printing facilities at all times.


An A3 colour photocopier is available to students in S2.81a. This can be accessed by swiping your student card over the wireless card reader. A black and white laser printer is available in S2.82. Printing is free of charge (within reason). Paper will be filled daily to these printers.

To print from other printers in the University, you will need to register your University ID card with the printing system (you only need to do this once). To do this, visit a Kyocera printer (situated on all floors in the Library and in other IT Services work areas) and swipe your University ID card against the printer card reader. Press Cancel at the PUK screen. Type in your IT Services username and password on the printer screen and press OK.

You will also need enough credit in your printing account to print to other printers in the University. You can buy printer credits online with a debit or credit card at You can also buy credits in person at the IT Services Help Desk on the first floor of the Library or at the International Office reception.

A3, colour, duplex and transparency printing are also available but can only be obtained from the printers located at the Help and Advisory Counter in the Student Computer Centre. Printing costs are as follows:

  • A4 black and white (per sheet): 5p single sided, 8p double sided
  • A4 colour (per sheet): 15p single sided, 28p double sided
  • A3 black and white (per sheet): 9p single sided, 16p double sided
  • A3 colour (per sheet): 30p single sided, 58p double-sided

You can check your printing credit at . Any credit remaining in your printer account will be lost when you leave the University. No refund of remaining credit will be given.

Further details can be found at:


The University has a wide range of software for economists. Besides generic software, such as Microsoft Office, email and web browsers, the econometric software we use includes Stata, Eviews, and SPSS. You will be given appropriate guidance on software use when the time comes.

Microsoft Windows and Apple Mac Software

GiveWin (win), Maple (win/mac), Mathematica (win/mac), MATLAB (win/mac), NVIVO (win), SAS (win), Scientific Word / Workplace (win), SPSS (win/mac), S-PLUS (win), Statistics for the Terrified (win) and WinEcon (win) are all available for use. The majority of this software is available from the University network, although some titles will need to be installed onto your computer. For assistance with locating and installing software, please contact the IT Services Help Desk.

UNIX Software

A wide range of software is available on the UNIX systems at Warwick including GAMS, LIMDEP, Maple, Mathematica, MATLAB, SAS, S-Plus. Further information can be found here

Access to economic datasets online

The UK Data Service provides a unified point of access to data from the Economic and Social Data Service (ESDS), the Census Programme and the Secure Data Service.

ESDS gives access to the NS Databank, OECD Economic Indicators, IMF and UNIDO datasets as well as Longitudinal, Large Scale and Qualitative datasets.

CASWEB (Census Area Statistics on the Web) provides access to UK census data and associated geographical boundary data.

This website requires Athens Authentication. The first time you use these services you will be asked to register, so have your Athens username and password ready.

National Statistics Online provides many UK statistics, including Census 2001 data. Registration is not required.

Software to download

It is now possible to download several of the software packages offered by IT Services. Details can be found at 

Getting help

If you have general problems logging in to IT Services open access areas you should follow the procedures published for these rooms. If you have specific problems relating to the computers or printers in S2.81a you should contact the Department’s Computer Support Staff on extension 23501 or visit room S0.81.

General information

Data protection

View the University’s policy on data protection.

Sexual and racial harassment

The University has published guidelines on sexual and racial harassment for students.

View the Dignity at Work and Study Policy.

The University and Department are opposed to sexual and racial harassment. We will support those subjected to it and, where appropriate, will take disciplinary action against offenders. Within the Department, help and support will be provided by all members of staff and specifically by your Personal Tutor, the Senior Tutor and the Director of Taught Postgraduate Programmes. Outside the Department you may seek help from the University Senior Tutor, the Counselling Service, and the Students' Union Welfare Office.

If you are a victim of harassment, you may feel able to make it clear to the person causing you offence that their behaviour is unacceptable. This, in itself, may be enough to put an end to the harassment. You may not feel able to confront the person responsible for harassing you. Failure to confront the perpetrator does not amount to consent to the harassment, and you are entitled to seek assistance from those listed above or from fellow students to put an end to it.

You may also wish to look at the University’s procedure on complaints and feedback.

Equal opportunities

The University of Warwick, recognises the value of sustaining and advancing a safe and welcoming learning environment, strives to treat both employees and students with respect and dignity, treat them fairly with regards to all assessments, choices and procedures, and to give them encouragement to reach their full potential.
Therefore, the University strives to treat all its members, and visitors, fairly and aims to eliminate unjustifiable discrimination on the grounds of gender, race, nationality, ethnic or national origin, political beliefs, religious beliefs or practices, disability, marital status, family circumstances, sexual orientation, spent criminal convictions, age or any other inappropriate ground.

Health and safety

View The University’s Health, Safety and Wellbeing Policy Statement.

The Head of Department has executive responsibility for the health and safety of anyone entitled to be on premises under his control. The contact person for health and safety issues in the department is the departmental Human Resources Officer and any enquiries relating to health and safety within the Department should be referred to here. In the absence of the above contact, queries should be addressed to the Head of Department.

We consider that high standards of health and safety are of paramount importance in enabling us to achieve our objectives. We view compliance with legal requirements as the minimum acceptable health and safety standard. We are committed to planning, review and development of health and safety arrangements in order to achieve a continual improvement in performance.

Colin Elis ( is the Department’s Fire Evacuation Warden. Colin is also the Department's trained first aider (Room S0.88, tel: 024 7652 8185). All staff, students and others working in the Department are expected to adopt a positive attitude to health and safety issues and must:

  • Comply with appropriate legal requirements and University requirements as laid down in the publications that make up Safety in the University (SITU).
  • Take reasonable care for their health and safety and that of others exposed to their activities.
  • Inform the DSO of any situations that, within the limits of their competence, they consider could give rise to serious or imminent danger or are shortcomings in safety arrangements.

The Department will make suitable arrangements for health and safety within the limits of available financial and physical resources. Any relevant information on health and safety will be communicated to people working in the Department.

University policies

Other University Policies which you may find useful to consult are listed below:

University calendar

View the University Calendar.

University regulations

University regulations which you may find useful to consult on occasion, can be found in the following links.

Children on campus

The Department is a ‘designated work area’ and is covered by the Shops, Offices and Railway Premises Act 1963. Among other things, this means that the building is designed and equipped to be safe when used by responsible adults, but it is not a safe environment for children. When children are brought into the Department their escorts are personally responsible for ensuring that they are at all times safe and protected from the hazards of a working environment and from the behaviour of people who do not expect children to be around. Under no circumstances should children be allowed to wander unaccompanied or to operate office equipment. Members of staff are not empowered to accept responsibility for children and must not be asked to do so.

University of Warwick nursery

The University nursery based on campus provides wrap-around care for children of staff and students, who are aged between three months and five years. Further details can be found on the Nursery web page.

Useful forms

The following forms are all located at

  • Assessed Work Mark Check Form
  • Assessed Work Submission Form (paper submission)
  • Examination Attendance Form
  • Request for an Extension on Assessed Work Deadlines
  • Temporary Withdrawal Request Form
  • Permanent Withdrawal Form

The information in this Handbook is as accurate and up to date as we can make it. Statements of departmental policy are made in good faith and are an honest attempt to describe current practices, but they do not replace entries in university regulations. In the event of uncertainty the University Calendar and Regulations take precedence.