Education and work, Education Economics, May 2006 (with P Trostel).
Child Support and Partnership Dissolution, Economic Journal, March 2006 (with Yu Zhu).
Wages, work and welfare, German Economic Review, July 2005 (with P Bingley and Y Zhu).
Welfare-to-work, wages and wage growth, Fiscal Studies, September 2005 (with R Lydon).
Does Education Raise Productivity, or Just Reflect it? Economic Journal November 2004 (with A Chevalier, C Harmon and Y Zhu).
Sheepskin effects in working behaviour, Applied Economics September 2004 (with P Trostel).
The Returns to Education: Microeconomics, Journal of Economic Surveys, March 2003 (with C Harmon).
Education, Earnings and Productivity – Recent UK Evidence, Labour Market Trends March 2003 (with Y Zhu).
WFTC: A Review of the Issues and Evidence, Economie Publique, 11, 77-127, 2003 (with R Blundell).
Dispersion in the Economic Return to Schooling, Labour Economics, 2003 (with Vincent Hogan)
Estimates of the Economic Return to Schooling for 28 Countries, Labour Economics, 2002 (with Philip Trostel and Paul Woolley)
Housing Subsidies and Work Incentives, Economic Journal, May 2001 (with P Bingley)
Household Unemployment and the Labour Supply of Married Women, Economica, 2001(with P Bingley)
- An Economists Guide to Lottery Design, Economic Journal, 2000 (with J Young)
- The Demand for Lotto and The Role of Rollovers and Conscious Selection, Journal of Business and Economic Statistics, 2000 (with G Lanot, L Farrell and R Hartley)
- The Returns to Quality and Quantity of Education: Evidence for Men in England and Wales, Economica, 2000 (with C Harmon)
- Child Support Reform: the Effects of the 1999 White Paper, Fiscal Studies, 2000 (with G Paull and Y Zhu).
- The Measurement of Household Welfare in Labour Supply Models with Non-linear Budget Constraints, Journal of Population Economics, 1999 (with I Preston).
- A Time Series Analysis of UK Lottery Sales: Long and Short Run Price Elasticities, Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, 1999 (with L Farrell and E Morgenroth).
- The Marginal and Average Returns to Education, European Economic Review, 1999 (with C Harmon ).
- The Welfare Effects of Lotto: Evidence from the UK, Journal of Public Economics, 1999 (with L Farrell).
- The Economics of Lotteries, Economic Policy, 1998.
- The Union/Non-Union Wage Differential: Semiparametric Evidence, Journal of Econometrics, 1998 (with G Lanot).
- The Labour Supply, Unemployment and Participation of Lone Mothers in In-Work Transfer Programmes, Economic Journal, 1997 (with P Bingley).
- Estimates of the Economic Return to Schooling for the UK, Amercian Economic Review, 1995 (with C Harmon).
- Child Support Reform and the Labour Supply of Lone Mothers in the UK, Journal of Human Resources, 1995 (with P Bingly, G Lanot and E Symons).