N.B. Some sources include automotive engineering and manufacturing as well as automotive retail.
- DTI (2007) Business Sectors – Automotive.
- EOC (2000) Sectoral Briefing on Pay. Undervaluing Women. London: Equal Opportunities Commission.
- Future Skills Scotland (2003) Automotive Industry – Scottish Sector Profile. Highlands and Islands Enterprise/Scottish Enterprise. The 2005 report is now available from the Future Skills Scotland website.
- Future Skills Wales (2000) Future Skills Issues Affecting Industry Sectors in Wales – Automotive Sector. Caerphilly: Future Skills Wales.
- Hamilton, K., Jenkins, L., Hodgson, F. and Tuner, J. (2005) Promoting Gender Equality in Transport (Working Paper Series No. 34). Manchester: Equal Opportunities Commission.
- Key Note (2002) Automotive Services Market Report. Middlesex: Key Note Ltd. (Available to view on the Key Note website).
- Lancashire County Council (2003) Automotive Industry in Lancashire – Sector Profile. Preston: Lancashire County Council.
- Mason, G. and Wagner, K. (2002) Skills, Performance and New Technologies in the British and German Automotive Components Industries. London: DfES.
- NECC/CBI (2007) Working in the retail motor sector in the North East. Durham: North East Chamber of Commerce and the Confederation of British Industry.
- Phaal, R. (2002) Foresight Vehicle Technology Roadmap. Technology and Research Directions for Future Road Vehicles. London: DTI.
- Rover Task Force (2000) Final Report and Recommendations to the Secretary of State for Trade and Industry. Advantage West Midlands.
- SMMT (2002) Careers in the Motor Industry. London: Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders Ltd.
- SMMT (2004) Motor Industry Facts 2004. London: Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders Ltd.
- SMMT (2006) Motor Industry Facts – 2006. London: Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders Limited.
- SSDA (2004) Sector Skills Matrix: Sectoral Labour Market Database – 'Manufacture of Transport Equipment' and 'Sale Maintenance and Repair of Motor Vehicles'.
The Sector Skills Development Agency has produced a skills matrix for several sectors covering information on size and characteristics of a sector, workforce characteristics, training, skills, skill shortages and vacancies.
- Stephens, V. (2005) Advantage West Midlands Interim Automotive Strategy 2005-2008. Birmingham: Advantage West Midlands.
- UK Trade and Investment (2004) Automotive Sector Profile.
- Wilson, R., Homenidou, K. and Dickerson, A. (2004) Working Futures: New Projections of Occupational Employment by Sector and Region 2002-2012 (National Report). Nottingham: SSDA/DfES.