The sub-sector employs over 10,200 people in over 200 workplaces. 49% of workplaces have between 1 and 10 staff and only 5% have 200 or more staff.
Between 2000 and 2007, the distilled alcoholic drinks manufacturing sector has seen an increase in employment levels from 9,300 to 10,200 (a growth of 10%). The sub-sector is concentrated in Scotland.
- 66% of the workforce is male.
- 32% of the workforce is aged 16-29 years and 29% is aged 50 plus years.
- 100% of the employees are white.
- 8% of the workforce has some form of work-limiting disability.
- 98% of the current workforce is employed, 1% is self-employed and the remaining employees are defined as unpaid family workers (1%).
- The majority of the workforce is employed on a full-time basis (90%).
- 13% of the workforce has a degree or equivalent qualification, 5% a Higher Education qualification, 34% A levels or equivalent, 22% GCSE or equivalent, 10% has other qualifications and 19% has no qualifications.
Source: Manufacturing of Distilled alcohol Labour Market information profile 2009/10
Distilled alcohol manufacturing workforce by region, 2008
Source: Manufacturing of Distilled alcohol Labour Market information profile 2009/10, page 2. Data derived from the Annual Business Inquiry 2000 and 2007.
Occupational profile of the distilled alcohol workforce, 2008
Source: Manufacturing of Distilled alcohol Labour Market information profile 2009/10, page 6. Data derived from the Labour Force Survey 2008.