The East Midlands has over 214,700 employees working in freight logistics roles, in 15,500 workplaces. This equates to 10% of the regional employment and 9% of the regional workplaces.
40% of the workforce is employed within the wholesale sub-sector, 19% in storage and warehousing, 13% within freight transport by road and a further 11% in national post activities.
Occupational profile of the region’s workforce:
- 43,600 in other goods handling and storage (such as warehouse operatives)
- 33,100 LGV drivers
- 17,800 van drivers
- 16,600 post workers, mail sorter, messenger or couriers
- 8,400 storage and warehouse managers
- 6,900 transport and distribution managers
- 4,700 transport and distribution clerks
- 83,600 in other occupations
Source: East Midlands Logistics Factsheets 2009