The North East has over 82,300 employees working in freight logistics roles, in 5,200 workplaces. This equates to 7% of the regional employment and 7% of the regional workplaces.
44% of the workforce is employed within the wholesale sub-sector, 18% in freight transport by road, 18% within national post activities, and a further 8% in storage and warehousing.
Occupational profile of the region’s workforce:
- 14,800 LGV drivers
- 13,500 in other goods handling and storage (such as warehouse operatives)
- 8,100 van drivers
- 7,000 post workers, mail sorter, messenger or couriers
- 3,200 storage and warehouse managers
- 3,100 transport and distribution managers
- 2,900 transport and distribution clerks
- 29,600 in other occupations
Source: North East Logistics Factsheet 2009