The North West has around 259,300 employees working in freight logistics roles, in 21,200 workplaces. This equates to 8% of the regional employment and 8% of the regional workplaces.
38% of the workforce is employed within the wholesale sub-sector, 16% in freight transport by road, 13% within storage and warehousing, and a further 12% in national post activities.
Occupational profile of the region’s workforce:
- 41,100 in other goods handling and storage (such as warehouse operatives)
- 36,600 LGV drivers
- 24,800 post workers, mail sorter, messenger or couriers
- 21,400 van drivers
- 9,600 transport and distribution managers
- 9,200 storage and warehouse managers
- 7,200 transport and distribution clerks
- 109,400 in other occupations
Source: North West Logistics Factsheet 2009