The South East employs the largest proportion of employees across the UK. The region has over 339,300 employees working in freight logistics roles in 27,600 workplaces. This equates to 8% of the regional employment and 7% of the regional workplaces.
38% of the workforce is employed within the wholesale sub-sector, 13% in national post activities, 12% within other supporting air transport activities, and a further 8% in freight transport by road.
Occupational profile of the region’s workforce:
- 49,000 in other goods handling and storage (such as warehouse operatives)
- 31,500 post workers, mail sorter, messenger or couriers
- 29,100 LGV drivers
- 26,200 van drivers
- 14,300 transport and distribution managers
- 9,900 storage and warehouse managers
- 9,700 transport and distribution clerks
- 168,900 in other occupations
Source: South East Logistics Factsheet 2009