The South West region over 189,600 employees working in freight logistics roles, in 15,900 workplaces. equates to 8% of the regional employment and 7% of the regional workplaces.
46% of the workforce is employed within the wholesale sub-sector, 17% in national post activities, 12% within freight transport by road and a further 9% in storage and warehousing.
Occupational profile of the region’s workforce:
- 30,700 in other goods handling and storage (such as warehouse operatives)
- 23,900 LGV drivers
- 20,500 post workers, mail sorter, messenger or couriers
- 20,000 van drivers
- 7,400 storage and warehouse managers
- 7,200 transport and distribution managers
- 5,500 transport and distribution clerks
- 74,200 in other occupations
Source: South West Logistics Factsheet 2009