The West Midlands has around 242,600 employees working in freight logistics roles, in 18,600 workplaces. This equates to 10% of the regional employment and 9% of the regional workplaces.
42% of the workforce is employed within the wholesale sub-sector, 16% in storage and warehousing, 14% within freight transport by road and a further 9% in national post activities.
Occupational profile of the region’s workforce:
- 50,700 in other goods handling and storage (such as warehouse operatives)
- 38,100 LGV drivers
- 18,100 van drivers
- 17,000 post workers, mail sorter, messenger or couriers
- 8,300 transport and distribution managers
- 8,200 storage and warehouse managers
- 6,400 transport and distribution clerks
- 95,200 in other occupations
Source: West Midlands Logistics Factsheet 2009