Yorkshire and the Humber has around 215,300 employees working in freight logistics roles, in 16,700 workplaces. This equates to 9% of the regional employment and 9% of the regional workplaces.
42% of the workforce is employed within the wholesale sub-sector, 15% in storage and warehousing, 15% within in freight transport by road and a further 13% in national post activities.
Occupational profile of the region’s workforce:
- 41,000 in other goods handling and storage (such as warehouse operatives)
- 32,400 LGV drivers
- 18,200 van drivers
- 17,000 post workers, mail sorter, messenger or couriers
- 7,500 storage and warehouse managers
- 7,500 transport and distribution managers
- 6,400 transport and distribution clerks
- 84,900 in other occupations
Source: Yorkshire and Humber Logistics Factsheet 2009