Northern Ireland has approximately 11,700 passenger transport employees, with the majority working in the bus, coach and taxi and private hire sub-sectors. There are three airports serving Northern Ireland.
- 79% of the workforce is male.
- 5% of the workforce is under 25 years, 82% aged 25-50 years and 13% aged 50 years and over.
- 1% has a Black and Minority Ethnic background.
- 1% of the workforce has a disability.
- 68% of the workforce is in driver/operative occupations.
- There are an 5,500 employers in the sector in Northern Ireland.
- 7% of companies report recruitment difficulties, 56% report generic skill gaps and 16% report technical skill gaps
- Skills gaps are reported for foreign languages, safety and accident management and job related IT.
- 18% of companies report vacancies and 2% report hard-to-fill vacancies.
Source: GoSkills Employer Skills Survey 2009 – Northern Ireland and GoSkills Northern Ireland Fact Sheet 2009
Number of passenger transport employees in Northern Ireland by sub-sector, 2007
Source: GoSkills Northern Ireland Fact Sheet 2009. Data derived from the Labour Force Survey 2007.