The North West has around 81,300 passenger transport employees.
- 85% of the workforce is male.
- 4% of the workforce is under 25 years, 63% aged 25-50 years and 33% aged 50 years and over.
- 2% have a Black and Minority Ethnic background.
- 58% of the workforce is in driver/operative occupations.
- There are 2,250 passenger transport companies operating in the region, but including sole traders this rises to 29,000.
- 98.5% of companies in the region employ between 1-10 staff.
- 25% of companies report recruitment difficulties, 61% report generic skill gaps and 30% report technical skill gaps
- Skills gaps are reported for foreign languages, disability awareness and vehicle, engineering and maintenance.
- 20% of companies report vacancies and 15% report hard-to-fill vacancies.
Source: GoSkills North West Factsheet 2009 and GoSkills Employer Skills Survey 2009
Number of passenger transport employees in North West, 2007
Source: GoSkills North West Factsheet 2009.
Data derived from the Labour Force Survey 2007.