There are approximately 119,500 passenger transport employees in the South East. The region is home to Gatwick and Southampton airport, plus Heathrow airport is on the regional boundary.
- 76% of the workforce is male.
- 5% of the workforce is under 25 years, 60% aged 25-50 years and 35% aged 50 years and over.
- 7% have a Black and Minority Ethnic background.
- 57% of the workforce is in driver/operative occupations.
- There are 2,500 passenger transport companies operating in the region, but including sole traders this rises to 30,000.
- 98 % of companies in the region employ between 1-10 staff.
- 16% of companies report recruitment difficulties, 43% report generic skill gaps and 31% report technical skill gaps
- Skills gaps are reported for foreign languages, vehicle, engineering and maintenance and job related IT.
- 22% of companies report vacancies and 9% report hard-to-fill vacancies.
Source: GoSkills South East Factsheet 2009 and GoSkills Employer Skills Survey 2009
Number of passenger transport employees in South East, 2007
Source: GoSkills South East Factsheet 2009.
Data derived from the Labour Force Survey 2007.