In the South West, there are approximately 41,500 passenger transport employees. There are several small airports in the region as well as Bristol, together with import regional ports.
- 83% of the workforce is male.
- 57% of the workforce is aged 25-50 years and 43% aged 50 years and over.
- 2% have a Black and Minority Ethnic background.
- 40% of the workforce is in driver/operative occupations.
- There are 1,900 passenger transport companies operating in the region, but including sole traders this rises to 10,000.
- 96% of companies in the region employ between 1-10 staff.
- 22% of companies report recruitment difficulties, 40% report generic skill gaps and 27% report technical skill gaps
- Skills gaps are reported for foreign languages, job related IT and vehicle engineering and maintenance.
- 22% of companies report vacancies and 16% report hard-to-fill vacancies.
Source: GoSkills South West Factsheet 2009 and GoSkills Employer Skills Survey 2009
Number of passenger transport employees in South West, 2007
Source: GoSkills South West Factsheet 2009.
Data derived from the Labour Force Survey 2007.