- National Employers Skills Survey for England 2009 (LSC, 2010)
- UK Employment and Skills Almanac (UKCES, 2009)
- Working Futures 2007-2017 (Wilson, Homenidou, and Gambin, 2008)
- SkillsActive-UK 2005 Sector Skills Survey (Future Skills Wales, 2005)
- SkillsActive: Scottish sector profile 2009 (Alliance of Sector Skills Council, 2009)
SkillsActive reports and publications
- Sector Skills Assessment - Active Leisure, Learning and Well-being: UK (2010) (Also available for: England; Northern Ireland; Wales; and Scotland).
- SkillsActive UK AASS LMI (2010)
- Skills Needs Assessment: England and Scotland (2005); Wales and Northern Ireland (2006)
- Regional Sector Skills Agreements and Action Plans are on the SkillsActive website (2006)
- Sector Skills Agreement: Scotland (2006), Wales (2006) and Northern Ireland (2007)
- Assessment of Current Provision: England (2006), Scotland (2006), Sport and Recreation (2006), Health and Fitness (2006) and Playwork (2006)
- Skills Needs Assessments: Playwork (2005); Caravans (2005); Health and Fitness Sector (2005); Sport and Recreation (2005); and Outdoors (2006)
- Playwork workforce (2007)
- Working in Fitness Survey (2008)
- Working in Fitness Survey Summary (2009)
- South West Sport and Leisure Progression Pilot – SkillsActive (2009)
- An assessment of training and development opportunities for the Sports, Fitness and Outdoors sector in Yorkshire and the Humber (2007)
Department for Culture, Media and Sport - This website contains information on government strategies regarding culture, media and sport.
SkillsActive is the Sector Skills Council for Active Leisure and Learning. The website has information about the sector and the industries it covers. There is much research on the sector together with regional and national information for the UK.
The SkillsActive careers pages includes information on education and training in the sector, regional information and details the skills that are essential to work in the sector.
Prospects - The ‘Sport and leisure’ section of the Prospects website details the past, present and future issues of the sector, lists key roles and occupations as well as case studies and further contacts for the sector.
Sport England - Sport England is responsible for providing the strategic lead for sport in England to deliver the Government's sporting objectives. The organisation develops the framework for the country's sporting infrastructure and distributes Lottery funding for sport.
Sports Council Northern Ireland - The Sports Council for Northern Ireland is a lead facilitator in the development of sport. It aims to: increase and sustain committed participation in sport, raise the standards of sporting excellence and promote the good reputation and efficient administration of sport; plus develop the competencies of its staff.
sportscotland - sportscotland is the national body for sport development in Scotland. It aims to encourage more people to participate in sport. The organisation works in partnership with public, private and voluntary organisations, but also works closely with the Scottish Executive, advising on policy for sport and physical recreation.
Sports Council for Wales - The Sports Council for Wales is the national organisation responsible for developing and promoting sport and recreation. It acts as the main advisor to the Welsh Assembly Government on all sporting matters.
Sport research institutes
A number of universities have sports related research institutes whose websites provide links to reports and publications.