- The most common skills that are lacking or in need of improvement are communication, problem solving and initiative.
- The median spend on training is £1,000-£4,999. Trained staff in Yorkshire and Humberside attended an average of 8 days training, compared with 11 days in England.
- Coaching, teaching and instruction staff are the most likely to receive training.
- 16,145 people participated in sports related learning programmes in 2003-04.
- There is a fairly even distribution of learners across the region (20-24%), with the exception of West Yorkshire, which accounts for 32% of learners.
- Approximately £11.3m was invested in active leisure, learning and well-being courses – 9% of the total funding for the sector in England (£121m).
- 14 providers deliver playwork training and the Leeds Metropolitan University delivers the PSEFD and BA (Hons) in Playwork.
Source: Yorkshire and Humberside Sector Skills Agreement Regional Action Plan 2006 and Sector Skills Agreement Executive Summary – Yorkshire and Humberside 2006