Bhaskar Chakravorty is a development professional having more than 13 years of experience working on range of development issues. At present, he is pursuing a PhD at Warwick Institute for Employment Research (IER) and is a Chancellor’s International Scholar (CIS) at the university. Previously, he completed a MA in Development Studies with specialization in Poverty Studies and Econometric Evaluation of Development Policies from International Institute of Social Studies (ISS), Erasmus University Rotterdam. He was awarded the prestigious Joint Japan World Bank Graduate Scholarship (JJ/WBGSP) for undertaking the MA program.
Development Economics, Labour Economics and Applied Econometrics.
- PhD in Employment Research (October 2017-ongoing), Institute of Employment Research (IER), University of Warwick
Project Title: Improving skills in Bihar: Field experiment to reduce attrition from skill-based training programmes and improve job uptake and retention.
Supervisor Prof. Dr. Wiji Arulampalam, Department of Economics, University of Warwick; Dr Daria Luchinskaya, Institute for Employment Research, University of Warwick.
- MA Development Studies (September 2015 – December 2016), International Institute of Social Studies (ISS), Erasmus University Rotterdam, Netherlands.
Specialization: Social Policies, Poverty and Gender studies, Population and Migration, Active Labor Market Program, Econometric Evaluation of Development policies.
Supervisor: Prof. Dr. Arjun Bedi, International Institute of Social Studies, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Netherlands.
Dissertation Title - Skill Training Programs and Employment Prospects in Bihar, India
Overall Grade: 82% Dissertation Grade: 85% Nominated for best thesis award 2015-16
- Post Graduate Diploma in Rural Development (2002-04), Xavier Institute of Social Services, Ranchi, India.
Grants and Awards
- CAGE Research Grant, Department of Economics, Warwick University.
- ESRC-GCRF Grant (with Clare Lyonette & others) – Project Title: Identification of factors affecting successful outcomes in the DDU-GKY Indian skills programme for unemployed young people, IER, Warwick University.
- Chancellor’s International Scholarship, IER, Warwick University.
- Joint Japan World Bank Graduate Scholarship Program, MA Development Studies, ISS, Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- SPD Research Grant Scholarship, ISS, Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- Nomination for Best Thesis Award 2015-16, ISS, Erasmus University Rotterdam.
Chakravorty, B. and Bedi, A. Sl (2017) Skills Training and Employment Outcomes in Rural Bihar. IZA Discussion Paper No. 10902.
Chakravorty, B. and Bedi, A. (2019) Skills Training and Employment Outcomes in Rural Bihar. The Indian Journal of Labour Economics. (https://rdcu.be/bJmYH)