Sally-Anne specialises in and has particular research interests in: individual work and learning transitions; careers education and lifelong guidance; the development and application of careers labour market information; ICT based innovations, implementations and applications. Sally-Anne would be interested in supervising research students in these or related fields utilising her expertise in qualitative research methodology and data analysis.
With an established track record in research, Sally-Anne has worked on and on and successfully managed a range of projects in the careers field to inform policy and practice for nearly 20 years. Her international research projects have investigated the transformation of careers and the labour market and the impact of technology on work, plus how individuals engage with lifelong guidance and learning across the life course, navigate the labour market and the narratives around these transitions and decisions. Sally-Anne specialises in labour market data and its technical applications, focusing on careers, and the use of ICT to support careers practitioners. She has undertaken research for the UK Government, sector bodies, charities and international organisations (such as the EC, OECD, CEDEFOP), the findings of which have been used to inform policy and practice.
Sally-Anne is an experienced lecturer having taught within the higher education sector for a number of years. She has also designed and delivered face-to-face and online training for careers practitioners, employment service providers and local governments.
Sally-Anne is an experienced mixed methods researcher and has particular expertise in qualitative research methodologies and data analysis techniques as applied to longitudinal biographical research. Utilising her expertise in different literature review methodologies, she has undertaken a number of reviews on lifelong guidance, career adaptability, career development interventions, employability, self-employment, skills diagnostics and screening tools, the armed forces community and internet-enabled labour exchanges.
Sally-Anne currently manages the IER doctoral programme.
Evaluation of careers education and world of work programme, with Sally Wright and Lorraine Johnson; Funded by Founders4Schools; Project duration: May - October 2021
Labour market information and its use to inform the career guidance of young people, with Jenny Bimrose and Stef Poole, Funded by The Gatsby Charitable Foundation, Project Duration: May 2020 - July 2021
- UK Prosperity Fund- Skills for Prosperity Programme Kenya, with Terence Hogarth and Chris Warhurst, Funded by the Department for International Development, Project Duration: 01 January 2021 - 31 March 2023
- Evaluation of the Founders4Schools careers programme for teachers. With Dr Sally Wright, Stef Poole and Gaby Atfield, Funded by Founders4Schools. Project Start Date: December 2019 - Project End Date: July 2022[details]
- Longer-Term Employment Outcomes For Ex-Service Personnel; Funded by FiMT. With Clare Lyonette and David Owen; Project Start Date: 03/02/2020 - Project End Date: 02/08/2021
- LMI for All, 2018-2021. With Jenny Bimrose, Rob Wilson, David Owen, Terence Hogarth, Jeisson Cardenas-Rubio and Daria Luchinskaya, Luke Bosworth and Rosie Day from IER, and Pontydysgu. Funded by Department for Education. Project Start Date: 01/10/2018 - Project End Date: 30/09/2021 [details]
- Provision of data analysis and intelligence on skills and labour markets. With Rob Wilson. Funded by CEDEFOP. Project Start Date: 01/01/19 - Project End Date: 30/12/22 [details]
- BEYOND 4.0 - Inclusive Futures for Europe BEYOND the impacts of Industrie 4.0 and Digital Disruption. With Chris Warhurst, Sally Wright and Sudipa Sarkar (IER), Chris Mathieu (Lund University), and led by Steven Dhondt (TNO). Funded by European Commission. Project Start Date: 01/01/2019 - Project End Date: 30/12/2022 [details]
- Barnes, S-A., Bimrose, J., Cárdenas Rubio, J., Wilson, R., Owen, D., Hogarth, T., Bosworth, L., Day, R., Attwell, G., & Rustemeier, P. (2021). Enhancing a labour market information database: LMI for All Stakeholder Engagement and Usage, Data and Technical Developments (2019-2020)(Research report RR1096). London: Department for Education.
- Barnes, S-A., Bimrose, J., Brown, A., Kettunen, J., & Vuorinen, R. (2020). Lifelong guidance policy and practice in the EU: trends, challenges and opportunities. Luxembourg: Publications Office of the European Union. ISBN 978-92-76-17340-3.
Barnes, S-A., Bimrose, J., Brown, A., Gough, J. & Wright, S. (2020). The role of parents and carers in providing careers guidance and how they can be better supported: International evidence report. Coventry: University of Warwick.
- Barnes, S-A., Bimrose, J., Brown, A., Gough, J. & Wright, S. (2020). The role of parents and carers in providing careers guidance and how they can be better supported: Practice report. Coventry: University of Warwick.
- Barnes, S-A. and Wright, S.A. (2019). The feasibility of developing a methodology for measuring the distance travelled and soft outcomes for long-term unemployed people participating in Active Labour Market Programmes. Luxembourg: Publications Office of the European Union.
- Barnes, S-A. and Brown, A. (2016). Stories of learning and their significance to future pathways and aspirations. British Journal of Guidance and Counselling, 44(2): 233-242. DOI: 10.1080/03069885.2016.1145194
All conference presentations
- Mags Bexon, “I can’t find none of that online”: An investigation into NEET young people’s use of ICT to help them plan for their future careers (Due to complete 2021)
- Xiaotong Zhang, What are enablers, constraints, processual mechanisms and methods of female self-employment and female entrepreneurship in Beijing? (Due to complete 2021)
- Wafaa Elmezraoui, How does personality type affect ICT usage for workers? A comparative study on optimising work-life enrichment in a Multinational Company in the UK (Due to complete 2022)
- Joanna Octavia, Add me to the group: how informal workers organise in the Internet age (Due to complete 2022)
- Gianni Anelli Lopez, What new information can be learned by the extraction of data about skills needed in the workplace through online labour platforms using techniques from data science? (Due to complete 2024)
- Andreana Glendinning, Investigating barriers to military veterans entering civilian employment with an emphasis on gender and social inequalities (Due to complete 2024)
- Petra Wolf, A social constructionist perspective on older women's experience of work in the grocery retail sector in the UK (Due to complete 2027)
- Tannis Goddard, Online Career Learning: Integrating ICT for Service Transformation (2021)
- Lorraine Johnson, The influence of intermediary systems on public sector transitions during a period of austerity (2020)
- John Gough, Professional Identity: the case of Careers Guidance Practitioners in England (2018)
- Szilvia Schmitsek, 'Who are you to know who I am?' A comprehensive study of young people at risk
Sally-Anne would be interested in supervising research students in: individual work and learning transitions; careers education and lifelong guidance; the development and application of careers labour market information; the use of ICT to support careers; ICT based innovations, implementations and applications.
- Guest lecturer (University of Warwick, 2017 - to date)
- DTC Qualitative Methods - Qualitative data analysis (lecturer, University of Warwick, 2011 - to date)
- WMG ENG/PhD Research Methodology (REME) (lecturer, 2014 - to date)
- Careers labour market information training (trainer, 2013-2014, CSWP Ltd.)
- MA Training and Human Resource Development (seminar leader, University of Warwick, 2003/04)
- Training and Human Resource Development (lecturer, University of Warwick, 2002/03)
- Sociological Imagination (undergraduate sessional tutor, University of Warwick, 1999-2001
External examiner, University of Ulster (2012/13-2015/16)
Associate Fellow of Higher Education Academy
IER Functional Manager: Promotion and Dissemination (2008 to 2017)
PhD Thesis: Communication Technologies at Work: Organisational Cultures and Employee Narratives (2003)
Editorial board member Sociological Research Online Journal (2007-2010)