The Office for Veterans' Affairs has commissioned the Institute for Employment Research at the University of Warwick to explore the lived experiences of UK veterans from ethnic minority backgrounds. The project will provide an opportunity for veterans from ethnic minority backgrounds to make their experiences, needs and aspirations known to those who can provide support and bring about the changes necessary to ensure that veterans are not disadvantaged either by their Service or by their ethnic background. The research involves an evidence review, analysis of the Census of Population 2021, interviews with those providing services that support veterans, particularly those from ethnic minority backgrounds, plus a survey and interviews with veterans from ethnic minority backgrounds.
As part of study, we would like to invite you to participate in an interview. The aim of this interview is to gather information:
- About you and your experiences of transitioning from the armed forces to civilian life;
- Your aspirations on leaving the armed forces and the type of support you may have accessed;
- The particular successes and challenges you may have faced in making the transition to civilian life;
- From your lived experience, the factors unique to being a veteran from ethnic minority backgrounds;
- The support and services you think would be most useful to veterans from ethnic minority backgrounds.
The interview should take no more than 60 minutes, will be conducted remotely and at a convenient time. Please be assured that all information collected will be treated in the strictest confidence and the anonymity of you is guaranteed in any publications. Further details are provided in the participant information leaflet.
I look forward to hearing from you soon and please do not hesitate to contact us if you need any further information.
Thank you in advance for your help with this study.
Gaby Atfield and the research team
Telephone: +44(0)24 76 524127
Happy to participate in the study?
April 2022 - February 2023
Part of the Cabinet OfficeLink opens in a new window