PhD Candidate and Associate Tutor
Email: K dot Dingley dot 1 at warwick dot ac dot uk
Katie is a PhD candidate in International Relations in the Department of Politics and International Studies. She has an MA in International Politics and East Asia from the University of Warwick and a BA in Modern Japanese Studies from the University of Durham. From 2007 to 2009 she worked for the then-Leader of the Democratic Party of Japan (DPJ).
Katie's research explores the politics of Japanese conservatives' representation of emotion in their pursuit of ontological security in the gendered international hierarchy. In late 2016 and early 2017, she was a Visiting Researcher at Waseda University, Tokyo.
She is a coordinator for the East Asia Study Group in the department.
Emotions, gender, and ontological security in the context of Japan
Thesis title (provisional): Ontological (In)Security, Masculinity, and Emotions: Japanese Conservatives and the “Post-War Regime"
- Ontological Security, Emotions, and Memory: Japanese Historical Revisionists and Heritage Sites, 12th Pan-European Conference on International Relations, Prague, September 2018
- The Emotional Crisis of Japanese Conservative Revisionists: Imaginings of North Korea and the Production of Preferred Masculine Japaneseness, British Association of Japanese Studies conference, Sheffield, September 2018
Scholarships and Awards
- PAIS CSGR Scholarship (2015-2019) supplemented by Great Britain Sasakawa Foundation Postgraduate Studentship (2015-2018)
- Japan Foundation Endowment Committee Research Grant for fieldwork (2016)
- MA Scholarship, PAIS, University of Warwick (2012-2014)
- Prize for the highest overall average in the International Politics and East Asia MA programme (2014), University of Warwick
In 2015 Katie was a Research Assistant for Professor Chris Hughes for his monograph entitled "Japan’s Foreign and Security Policy Under the ‘Abe Doctrine’"
Katie is a seminar tutor for PO131 World Politics.
Advice and Feedback Hours: Tuesdays 2pm-4pm, term time only, in D2.09 (can be booked here) or by email.