University of Warwick, 10-14th September 2018
Summer School Aims:
- Understand what different review processes entail (e.g. article reviews, funding proposals)
- Learn how to be a constructive and effective reviewer
- Become familiar with journal rankings and identify which journals might be more relevant to your research field
- Learn about important aspects of reviewing, including biases in knowledge production and sex/gender considerations.
- Learn how to respond to reviewers
The 1st and 2nd day will be targeted at natural scientists and the 4th and 5th day will be targeted at social scientists with different workshop leaders being involved in the two parts. The 3rd day will be a writing bootcamp and a CV workshop where both natural and social scientists will have access to a quiet room with desks, lunch, refreshments and facilitators to help them review papers, proposals, and CVs.
Please register HERE
Speakers will be launched continuously. Confirmed speakers include:
- Professor Andrew Oswald, University of Warwick, serving on the board of editors of Science
- Dr Christine Mieck, Associate Editor in Nature Communications
- Dr Lesley Thompson, Director of Academic and Government Strategic Alliance, Elsevier, worked for 26 years at the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC)
- Professor Bruno Frenguelli, University of Warwick, Editor-in-Chief of the journal Neuropharmacology
- Dr Julia Vilstrup Mouatt, serving on the Reviewer College for the British Ecological Society's small and large research grants since early 2016. Currently, she's the head of Publons' free, online, practical peer review training course, the Publons Academy
- Dr Caroline Jay, Senior Lecturer in Computer Science, University of Manchester, former experience in the EPSRC Peer Review College
- Professor Rosemary Deem, University of London, serving on the Editorial Board of Higher Education Quarterly, Higher Education, the Sociological Review (joint editor 2001-2005), Equal Opportunities International and Studies in Higher Education
- Professor Mike Ward, University of Warwick, served on the editorial board of Dalton Transactions; he is currently Chair of the Editorial Board of 'RSC Advances’
- Dr Shirin Heidari, Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies, former editor-in-chief of Reproductive Health Matters Journal and executive editor of the Journal of the International AIDS Society (JIAS)
- Dr Gareth Johnson, University of Warwick, Senior Editor for Exchanges: The Interdisciplinary Research Journal
- Deborah Logan, Publishing Director, Elsevier, former experience at Oxford University Press and Oxfam Publishing in UK
- Dr Eda Ulus, University of Leicester, one of two recipients of the Best Developmental Reviewer Award, awarded by the Critical Management Studies (CMS) Division of the Academy of Management (2016), and one of two recipients of the Best Conference Reviewer Award, by EURAM, European Academy of Management (2016), serving on the International Editorial Board of Management Learning
- Dr Jigisha Patel, Medical Editor for over 30 medical journals in the BMC series, Head of Programme Management, Research Integrity at Springer Nature.
For the speakers' short bios, click here.
Contact information: P dot Mesinioti at warwick dot ac dot uk
There are no fees for the Summer School but participants are responsible to make their own accommodation and travelling arrangements.
The Summer School will take place at the MOAC Seminar Room (top floor of Senate House).
For on campus directions please click here.
For advice on how to travel to the University of Warwick please click here.
For on campus and off campus accommodation options click here.
The following hotel has easy access to the University of Warwick by bus and to the train station of Coventry:
Ibis Coventry near number 11 & 12 bus to the university.